Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
bretong

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Public or Private..?

UAT or ASU?

I'm in Phoenix, and have attended Arizona State now for two years. I've bounced around to many different majors figuring out where I wanted to be, and I decided on programming. Game programming to be specific.

I've read hundreds of articles on the merits of both, but what it boils down to at this point is a job, and the transferability of the degree in case the game industry doesn't work out. UAT has a general computer science degree, along with a game programming degree. Plus the networking. ASU, however, has the traditional software engineering discipline with an established name. Plus it's cheaper.

Which one will prepare me better for industry standards? Is networking and the ability to build a portfolio during school worth the price of UAT?

Perhaps someone close to the industry has some answers?

Thanks!
bretong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1782
Default Make a decision grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretong View Post
1. UAT or ASU? Which one will prepare me better for industry standards?
2. Is networking during school worth the price of UAT?
3. Is the ability to build a portfolio during school worth the price of UAT?
4. Perhaps someone close to the industry has some answers?
1. Both will prepare you just fine. Any school where you can get a CS degree will give you the necessary degree line on your résumé, then it's up to you to build a great portfolio.
2. "Worth" is subjective. Only YOU can decide if it's worth it for YOU.
3. You shouldn't plan to build your portfolio during school. While you're in school, you're still learning the stuff you are trying to prove expertise with. Plan to build your portfolio after school, after you have polished your skills.
4. Perhaps, but it doesn't matter, because this MUST be YOUR decision, because it's YOUR life. You must NOT try to live your life to satisfy the expectations or "requirements" of others. You should make a decision grid to choose between your two school options. See http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson25.htm - decide what criteria are most important to YOU, then figure out how those two schools stack up, then add up the results.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.

Last edited by tsloper : 09-28-2011 at 08:00 PM.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1782

And maybe this will help, too: http://www.igda.org/games-game-august-2011

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
bretong

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thanks a ton! Ultimately I'm leaning towards ASU, they've just established a new "Software Engineering" degree, where I can focus on game programming. It's hands-on like a game school, but also teaches general software best practices. Likewise, the last two years of school, we focus on and build a whole game engine.

I think that's a great portfolio piece to work on during school, and like you said I should also work on it afterwards. I appreciate your quick response!
bretong is offline   Reply With Quote