Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
Chipmunk

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Few Modelling Questions

Hey everyone, to introduce myself my name's Ben, I'm 14 and am from the UK. I'm hoping to become a 3d modeler and animator.

First question is, do I need to draw, I've always been okay at drawing just never practiced. The only problem is I can't draw from my imagination just copying. How can I learn?

Also is living in the UK a problem, I was thinking of moving down to London, but I'm not sure where the hub of development is.

I'm learning to use XSI at the moment as I like it and the Mod tool is free. I'm not going to use 3Ds Max until I can afford to as I hate piracy.

Thanks,
Ben
Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
Hey everyone, to introduce myself my name's Ben, I'm 14 and am from the UK. I'm hoping to become a 3d modeler and animator.

First question is, do I need to draw, I've always been okay at drawing just never practiced. The only problem is I can't draw from my imagination just copying. How can I learn?
Doodle, things will get better with practise.

Quote:
Also is living in the UK a problem, I was thinking of moving down to London, but I'm not sure where the hub of development is.
You are 14, a little early to be thinking about moving especially into one of the most expensive areas in the country.

Quote:
I'm learning to use XSI at the moment as I like it and the Mod tool is free. I'm not going to use 3Ds Max until I can afford to as I hate piracy.

Thanks,
Ben
Good, keep at it. Also dabble with other packages like Blender or Wings3D just to get a feel what another program may be like. This will help transitioning between tools easier in the future.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
PixelsFTW

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

When you're starting out, there's nothing wrong with copying. In fact, I would encourage it. By observing and practicing someone else's style, you gradually build your own technical and creative skills. As you become more proficient (spl?) in anatomy, color, and other elements, you'll start to develop your own ideas and compositions. It's like learning how to play an instrument. You begin by playing other peoples' songs, and once you've reached a certain level, the your creative ness and compositional skill will begin to emerge. Hope this helps. (XP long post!)
PixelsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:08 AM   #4
Chipmunk

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Images

Thanks for the comments, I think what I'm going to do is build of a sort of database of pictures to use on my pc. So when I draw a certain thing I can get inspired easily.
Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Thumper_34

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59

Ya!! Thats what I did, I have a couple gig's worth of pictures in organized categories from concept art to aircraft to kittens.... It's not always practical to be self motivated so I have folders dedicated to pictures I absolutely love so I am always motivated.

Update us with your progress
Thumper_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Esker

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Head over to:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/
and
http://forums.cgsociety.org/

These guys will really help you develop your drawing and painting skills.

I posted this in another thread but there's a PLE version of Maya that you can use to learn the package.

http://www.3dtotal.com/

That's not a bad place to hang around either. There are loads of forums and websites around, have a search round and see which ones suit you best.
Esker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
vegnadragon

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Drawing from you head takes expirience, it is ok to use reference in whatever type of work you are using.
vegnadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
StarbonesCoffin

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

High five, we're both are at the same situation sharing the same dreams lol, only i'm a year older.Well, i've been practising 3D modeling by sculpting, by using blender freeware, and i've also done some studies on anatomy and life drawings for concepts.And by next year, i'm doing it seriously, no playing at all.Good luck FTW !
StarbonesCoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Haiddasalami

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbonesCoffin View Post
High five, we're both are at the same situation sharing the same dreams lol, only i'm a year older.Well, i've been practising 3D modeling by sculpting, by using blender freeware, and i've also done some studies on anatomy and life drawings for concepts.And by next year, i'm doing it seriously, no playing at all.Good luck FTW !
I would suggest checking some video tut's. Helped me out a lot and also taught me the different tools as it went along.
Haiddasalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #10
Red_5

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post

Thanks,
Ben
Hi Ben, welcome to the forums!

1. Do you need to draw? it helps, especially if you want to get anatomy, movement and gestures right. A good starting point I used is the Muybridge photos, great stuff. Thing is you dont really need to draw from your imagination yet, get a pencil, sketchbook and a large mirror and draw yourself. Tell yourself why when your drawing. Also you'll find that when your animating you'll be walking, trying to get the best pose and finding out why the legs move the way the do.

2. I live in london and i'm studying here aswell. The UK isn't great in terms of development, seems that Canada, US and Scandinavia are the main places but dont let that put you off. Guildford,is home to Lionhead and EA operate out of Chertsy.

3. Great! My first package was Truespace. I'd spend ages on my highschools computers, not having a clue what I was doing! It doesnt really matter what tools you use as long as you have the technique and know-how. Practice Practice Practice!

I also hate piracy but love pirates! ARRH!

if you need any advice or links just PM me

I suggest you visit which is a great place for 2d concept art and stuff.

http://www.conceptart.org

Also I know that Lionhead take on people for work experience for 2 weeks. Not sure if you have to be 15/16 but give them a ring and see.

http://www.lionhead.com
Red_5 is offline   Reply With Quote