Old 04-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #1
Thumper_34

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59
Default Best Game Art college?

I have an associates degree in Multi-Media Graphics and Design
I was wondering what the best Game Art and Design college might be in anyones opinions?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

I'm not sure about the best but when it comes to art (concept mostly) I would recommend Seneca college and their Art fundamentals course. It isn't designed specifically for game design but it teaches a lot of art based skills on tight deadlines. Also Art fundamentals offers classes in photoshop as well and it's only one year for about $5,000-CAD.

They also have a game course and traditional animation course but I can't vouch for their value. I just know that Seneca makes some phenomenal artists.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
ArtInstituteOnline

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

The Art Institute Online, a division of The Art Institute of Pittsburgh, offers programs in Game Art & Design and Media Arts & Animation. There are also several other Art Institute campuses that offer these degrees as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Dalex

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hi all, I'm a recent graduate of The Art Institute Online's Game Art and Design Degree (2006) and would caution you against taking it as your first option.

Be advised that you will be on your own for most of this journey, be it gathering up software for use in class, paying full tuition prices even though you're not using onsite facilities like AIP student are and your guidance counselors will change about every four months or so (very frustrating to reintroduce yourself and your unique situation every time you call or email someone). That was not limited to just my experience - had a brother and a good friend together experience similar angst at this program.

If I could do it all over again, I would have tried Full Sail in Florida, SMU Guildhall in Texas or DigiPen in Washington.

AIO wins by having their program online, but if you can be onsite with instructors and classmates, you'll find yourself having a much fulfilling experience.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
origin

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Thumbs down Art institutes and others, eh

As far as Art institutes (ones owned by the Career Education Corporation) i might stay away. There are cheaper, more realistic approaches to the game art industry. I'm currently in the middle of leaving one CEC college, to attend a state college. Their art program is better, and there aren't any current lawsuits against it.

As stated above by HagNasty, i have heard good things about Seneca, but alas, have never been. Try to look for something that fits you, and you're budget. Many state colleges actually have good programs, and better equipment than some pure art schools, and they won't get you $40k into debt. For example, the guildhall at MSU, i have heard good things about it as well.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
ArtInstituteOnline

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Best Game Art college?

There are several good design schools out there. The Art Institutes happens to be the established leader in creative arts education. Here are a few comments from other students at Ai who post in these forums and on sites like MySpace.

Tracy
F/36
ESCONDIDO,
California

Posted: Mar 14, 2007 4:55 PM

AI is a GREAT school. I've been attending for over a year and I got everything I was promised....and more.

♥ CrYsTaL ♥
F/24
Texas

Posted: Mar 28, 2007 3:58 PM

I attend AIO and I am doing great! I don't feel they let me down at all. As a matter of fact, my career is thriving and I am not even graduated yet. I provide my own supplies and equipment but I get to go to class whenever I feel like it...lol! I get the same student benefits and access I would think. I have no experience onground though. I hope to once I get moved to Dallas this month.

Viva La Nina
F/22
CHARLESTON,
WEST VIRGINIA

Posted: Apr 21, 2007 1:40 PM

I love AIO. I have no problems at all and I am learning so much and thriving accademically. They really lean towards self motivation which in critical in today's industries. So basically if you really aren't driven to do well and to do this "yourself" then you may want to stick to traditional ground schooling.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
texasjgc

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Exclamation Caution: The Art Institute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_34 View Post
I have an associates degree in Multi-Media Graphics and Design
I was wondering what the best Game Art and Design college might be in anyones opinions?

Whatever you choose do NOT choose the art institute. I was a student of the art institute and they LIED to me and almost ruined my credit!

I had asked about there game art program I was told that my drawings "did not meet there req" for the course. I was put in their web design program with promises that in half a year I could "scoot" into the game art program and not lose any credits. The representitive lied to me. His name was [NAME REMOVED]. What really happened was that the president of the school told me the game art program was filled up over 2 months prior to my interest in the program. He (the president of the school) even told me I "may" have been mislead. NO! I WAS LIED TOO! NOT MISLEAD PAL!.

Anyhoo, They sent me a balance of 90 dollars, i payed it. a few months later another balance of more money. This balance "thing" happened to me over and over 3 or 4 times till I finally said I am not giving you people andy more money! They stopped trying to get more money after that.

Whatever you do I wish you luck but DO NOT chose art institute, they will lie and slander the truth to all your questions. I am a multimedia/IT graduate from ITT tech, and ITT tech was 100% truthful about their programs they offer. No bull.

Just be careful and good luck!

Last edited by HagNasty : 04-23-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
Dominia

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

If you live in Texas, I've heard Texas A&M has a great graphics arts / animation school that you may want to check out.

Check out my Warhammer Blog site at The Aphelion
Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 AM   #9
Thumper_34

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59

Ive made my decision, Im done with my Associates Degree in November.
I am going to start the Art Institute Online and if I don't like that I am going to transfer to the Pittsburgh Art Institute.

Thanks for your help guys
Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
sinofhearts

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18
Default AI not accredited

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjgc View Post
Whatever you choose do NOT choose the art institute. I was a student of the art institute and they LIED to me and almost ruined my credit!

I had asked about there game art program I was told that my drawings "did not meet there req" for the course. I was put in their web design program with promises that in half a year I could "scoot" into the game art program and not lose any credits. The representitive lied to me. His name was Chris Lipari. What really happened was that the president of the school told me the game art program was filled up over 2 months prior to my interest in the program. He (the president of the school) even told me I "may" have been mislead. NO! I WAS LIED TOO! NOT MISLEAD PAL!.

Anyhoo, They sent me a balance of 90 dollars, i payed it. a few months later another balance of more money. This balance "thing" happened to me over and over 3 or 4 times till I finally said I am not giving you people andy more money! They stopped trying to get more money after that.

Whatever you do I wish you luck but DO NOT chose art institute, they will lie and slander the truth to all your questions. I am a multimedia/IT graduate from ITT tech, and ITT tech was 100% truthful about their programs they offer. No bull.

Just be careful and good luck!
Well, I'd also like to add that AI isn't accredited, meaning that if you went to college somewhere else, there's no guarantees that your units and the classes you've taken will transfer. It's the same leaving AI, too. If you go into the AI, you should want to finish it through because you probably won't get credit for the classes you've taken if you transfer in or out of another college.

Also, ITT seems like a good school, but they tend to keep calling, but you can transfer your classes, so I'm thinking about going there after I get my general education or associates in art.
Closed Thread