Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Shark

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Design Challenge: One Button Control.

So, anyone interested in submitting anything? Anyone free to team up?

I've been thinking about how to put this in work. I'm 24 and I played a LOT of games. Including those that were played on only one button (pinball coming to mind first) back in ZX/C64/trash arcade days

So I was thinking of a side-scrolling platformer, some guy/ball (Protagonist) running left to right. Pressing the Button shoots, holding the Button charges up the jump. Upon touching any surfaces, the Protagonist changes direction.

This makes up for interesting timing and skill-based features - we all liked wall jumping ofc. Shooting enemies and wall-jumping shortly after sounds decent enough.

The idea for the "main" level is for it to be sort of an arcadey-puzzle (similar to meat boy and IWBTG) where you need to get to the 'end' of the level (rightmost end) and gather enough speed running back to jump over the wall at the 'start' of the level where the actual goal is.
----

Alternatively, a side-scrolling tube racer could do the trick, where holding the button further accelerates and 'sticks' the racer to either the upper or the lower part of the tube and pressing it shoots bullets. Transitions between floor and ceiling will be done with ramps, while holding the Button ignores the ramp (think of a rollercoaster with different branches, or something like Rollcage where you need to alternate going over the ceiling/floor to avoid gaps)

---
Now, what I'm wondering about is if we're supposed to submit the whole game with the submission, just the idea or actually have the game and ship the idea/description (pitch) along with some screenies of actual work?

Also, if anyone likes these two ideas, feel free to contact me about teaming up - I'd like to do this but my time is limited due to work. Still, we've got plenty of time to finish this provided I get at least one more person on the team from a different timezone (preferably from the States cuz i'm GMT+1 so we can work on the code in shifts)

Looking forward to responses and any useful tips/information,
Aleksandar
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Jdklaffke

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hey, Shark. This is my first time submitting, and I came up with an idea pretty soon after reading about this contest of sorts. I was really stumped for a while, but then...it came to me. It's just a pitch, no screenshots, not a real game, just a concept that could be turned into a game (at least that's what I got from the instructions). I just e-mailed it in a few minutes ago! Fingers crossed.
Jdklaffke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
Asvarduil

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

It seems to me the 1-button challenge is a matter of paring out which "features" can be safely removed without injuring the game experience.

I've got a couple of concepts for this one, as linear games are nothing new; pick up Final Fantasy XIII for a good example.

:P

Of course, I also think it important that the game itself influence how "the" button works. In certain situations, it should do one thing...in others, it should behave differently, but in a logical way that makes sense and is well-communicated to the player.
Asvarduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
shellyla32e

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Re: Design Challenge: One Button Control.

Yes, but surely the game experience is not going to be the same with one button. Well, that's wehat I though then what came to mind is One Button Bob where the graphics are not hot but the concept is certainly there for other game ideas.
shellyla32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
ansh93

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

here is my idea
HIGH COMCEPT
the game is based on r2d2(the robot from start wars in case sumone dont know).
R2D2 is lost on a planet, planet with ropes spikes and jumpbots.
FEATURE
the aim of the game is to help r2d2 jump from the planet escaping from junkbots nd collecting the spraks which gives power to r2d2 as he is a robot
each sparks gives him energy for 7 secs
the camera is moving slowly so u r supposed to keep the pace with that if u r out of the camera u die
GENRE
casual arcade
CONTROLS
u press the button once u jump from one rope to another
u press the same button twice u change that direction of movement ie if u r character is going down than u change it to up with the double tap
GAMEPLAY
u r supposed to change directions as there r spikes on both ends ie up and down nd u cant hit those spikes u will die.
u cant get caught by the junkbots they will eat u up
there are color changing sparks within the level u take them when they r blue u will get energy
u take them when they r green ur speed slows down
thats the whole game
ART STYLE
the background has panographic junkyard(a space junkyard which i still need to think upon on design basis)
the hud has a clock for the energy sparks

m attaching a file to make myself understand properly
m not a artist juss a programmer so dont go on the image its juss to make the level understand easily
the orange one is R2D2
the red are junkbots
the blue are energy sparks
nd blue green are color changing sparks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rope-a-rama.jpg (88.2 KB, 2 views)
ansh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

I think we all know the robot from Start Wars, but aren't you a month or 5 late for this challenge?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
ansh93

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

I juss joined the forum
Nd moreover juss wanna know howz my idea nd suggest ny changes if it can b improved
ansh93 is offline   Reply With Quote