Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
mickehill

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Portfolio critique please ?

Hi, my name is Mikael Hill, 24 y old. I have been developing my portfolio for the last past 5 months or so, I started doing digital art about 8 months back, bought a drawing tablet 4-5 months ago, and just started doing 3D-modelling about 2 weeks ago. I would deeply appreciate any thoughts anyone would have on my portfolio, I really want to get a job. =)
Thanks in advance!
Portfolio : http://mikaelhill.daportfolio.com/
mickehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
nightblue

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss19
Default Re: Portfolio critique please ?

Hi Mikael,

Your works are very good for someone who's just started going digital. I was initially thrown-off by your homepage image. It's a fun piece but it also lacks the professional looks and polish you may want as a first impression.

Looking through your portfolio, your traditional works are your stronger suit. I don't doubt that you'll soon reach the same proficiency digitally as your traditional work, though. One question I'd ask you is: Are you wanting to become a concept artist or an illustrator? Many painters new to the game industry think they are the same thing and interchangeable, but concept artist is more about the design (think fashion designer, industrial designer, and interior designer), while illustrators are mostly about telling a story with composition, lighting, and rendering. It's possible to do both, but it's highly beneficial to start off focusing on one when you are looking for a job.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific question, feel free to ask