Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Writing
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
CollegeWriter19

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default I need help on what kind of writing career I want.

My name is Quadree Breeland and I am currently a college student attending Wilmington University. I had to start over as a freshman again because I didn't do so well at the school I went to before. I was a student at University of Advancing Technology during the 2010-2011 year. I loved the school, but I didn't do well, so I had to start over at another school. I don't like Wilmington. I'm just going there to get my credits up. I want to transfer in the fall or the spring and be a sophomore. I need a school with dorms, creative writing or film, parties, and is lower than 30,000 a year. I am from Philadelphia by the way. I digress, but I just wanted you to know what my situation is.

I am not the greatest student, but I am a smart person and a pretty good writer. Well, I'm an ok writer. I have written 3 short stories in the past couple of years. I wrote a story about a former FBI agent that quit because he wanted to be a journalist. 5 years later, a russian terrorist finds him and tries to kill him. The other story is about a video game killer. It's about a man that hates video games ever since he was a kid, so he kills children and teenagers with their own games. Literally. The last story I wrote was when I was a student at UAT. It's set in an alternate universe in which teenagers can become detectives and no one respects them. It's just a procedural with teenage detectives. I did not know about 21 jump street during that time. I might post those stories on this blog later, but I need help right now.

I don't know what kind of career in writing or entertainment I want to go into. I love writing and it's my thing, but I'm no Aaron Sorkin or anything. I just have a passion for the entertainment industry and writing. I'm the only one in my family who loves to watch the behind the scenes featurettes on video games, movies, and tv shows. It just amazes me how these are made. It's a magical thing to me.I love film, tv, and video games, but I think I'm leaning over to the video game writing thing. I know I won't just jump into it, but as a college student, I need to think realistically about what I want to do.

I'm not the greatest student or writer, but I have a great passion for it. I know this and I feel it inside me. Ever since I was a kid, I've had a passion for writing stories or talking about them. I love anime and comics too. I don't have a problem writing for comic books, cartoons, or even writing about wrestling online and getting paid for it. I like wrestling too. Raw is the best. I don't have a problem writing for the WWE wither. Yes, I know it's scripted. Maybe I can be the guy that helps write the script. I love scriptwriting too.I am looking at schools with creative writing and journalism, but I just don't know what I want to do as a career. I have an idea, but I just need a push.

These are the different types of careers in writing i want to do:
1. Comic Book Dialog Writer or Story Writer.
2. Cartoon Writer
3. Video Game Dialog Writer or Mission Writer.
4. TV Writer
5. WWE ScriptWriter

Thank you for reading! Please Respond as soon as you can.
CollegeWriter19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2254
Default Re: I need help on what kind of writing career I want.

Q. I need help on what kind of writing career I want
A. How are we meant to know? It is your life and there is no way of us really telling you what kind of career you want. Try doing some writing in all the areas you are interested in. Which ones appeal to you most? Where can you get your work critiqued? Where can they be published?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
CollegeWriter19

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

Basically, I need more information in the areas I've stated.
CollegeWriter19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeWriter19 View Post
I just don't know what I want to do as a career.
That's not unusual. I was the same. Just follow your passions. Try stuff, follow the good stuff. If you have to make a decision, make a decision grid.

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson40.htm
http://sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
paulsmithpaul
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

hey guys, i like novels. i want to write a novel about lost love. i have got appreciated by many peoples for my writings in magazines. expecting advices from you guys for my career. i am also interested in drawings. my mind toggle always.
paulsmithpaul is offline   Reply With Quote