Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
GameSoundMe

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Lightbulb Recommended career fields( in gaming) for my talents

Hello! I know I'm that the first person to post something like this, but this is of high importance to me. I've been searching numerous websites, books, and webseries (ex. sloperama, Book of Lenses, Extra Credits) about the game industry because I wish to have a career in the industry. The problem is that I don't know what field I'm most passionate about; except programming ( I got my feet wet in programming and didn't enjoy it). Could you please assess some of my talents and passions and suggest a possible career in the game industry that you think I would most enjoy? Thank you for reading and possibly answering my request.
*I'm an upcoming junior in high school, but I want to start preparing for the future now. Possible fields I've considered going into to are game design, music, or writing. A school I've looked into extensively is University of Southern California and it's Interactive Media Program.*
-I have a lot of experience as a musician, a performer ( I enjoy arranging things so that I could play them, but I struggle to compose original pieces).
-I'm a skilled artist; most proficient in pencil-drawing, but I'm learning how to use photoshop.
- I enjoy creative writing more so than technical writing. I'm taking AP English which is mostly technical writing and analysis.
- I truly enjoy crafting mechanics and levels that tie in to the story, which in turn, compliment the entire narrative.
- My biggest flaw that I've been consistently trying to improve is communication ( outside of writing). I researched how communication is one of the most important skills that a game designer needs. I tend to speak too fast or without thought, which leaves the listener confused.
-
GameSoundMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1870
Default Re: Recommended career fields( in gaming) for my talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSoundMe View Post
1. I don't know what field I'm most passionate about;
2. Could you please assess some of my talents and passions and suggest a possible career in the game industry that you think I would most enjoy?
3. Possible fields I've considered going into to are game design, music, or writing.
4. My biggest flaw that I've been consistently trying to improve is communication ( outside of writing). I researched how communication is one of the most important skills that a game designer needs. I tend to speak too fast or without thought, which leaves the listener confused.
1. It's not unusual that you don't know this yet. Don't worry. You don't need to have one focus right now. It will come in time (and then it might change later).
2. No. This is something YOU have to decide. It's YOUR life.
3. Good, you've narrowed it down to three. Keep doing that creative stuff you enjoy.
4. It's good that you know that. You can work on it. Try getting into classes and activities that will help you with your verbal communications - debate, speech, drama/comedy, stuff like that.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1870

Something I meant to say before but forgot. I highly recommend that you visit your high school career counselor. It should be helpful.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Destin Bales

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24

Wow, I wish I knew what I wanted to be in Junior High! It sounds to me like you have a great head on your shoulders, you'll do just fine.

Here's some information that might help you:

http://www.ineedtomakegames.com/how-...-industry.html

Best,

Destin
Destin Bales is offline   Reply With Quote