Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Art
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
rkell48

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default What steps to take to further my chances as a concept artist?

Hello there,
My name is Rebekah and I live in Australia.

I am currently studying a Diploma in Interactive Entertainment (Major in Animation), and I would really love to be a concept artist when I gain enough skills.

I have been drawing most of my life, but have been seriously drawing from the start of this year (i.e sketching environments, character designs of my own).

I was just wondering what extra steps could I take to further my skills/chances in the field?

I am planning on continuing my studies to do a Bachelor of Animation next year at the same University I am at now, but is there anything else I can do in my spare time?

Thank you.
rkell48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1860
Default Re: What steps to take to further my chances as a concept artist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkell48 View Post
I would really love to be a concept artist... what extra steps could I take to further my skills/chances in the field?
Finish your degree and create some masterpieces. Put your masterworks in your online portfolio. Make a paper portfolio, too. And network.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
nightblue

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss19
Default Re: What steps to take to further my chances as a concept artist?

You may already know this, but in case you don't: concept artists and illustrators are two different things. The best thing you can do for yourself and your future team is focus on design rather than over-focusing on rendering, lighting, etc etc. Sure the latter sells your concept, but any studio worth their salt will mainly be looking at your design sensibilities, and how your designs could fit into their gameplay.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Jedejane

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Smile Re: What steps to take to further my chances as a concept artist?

Here's a blog you might find interesting to read:

http://www.ineedtomakegames.com/blog/

I myself am also going into concept art, and have been working on making myself my own little 'projects'. I also read somewhere else (don't have the link :C ) that working on a portfolio for concept art it's best to make a project 'set' of illustrations - like character lay-outs, environments for those same characters, clothes for that same universe, etc.

And if your school has some kind of art club or a game design club, that would be an excellent place to have fun and maybe have some contests to participate in.

Other than that, draw every freakin' day! And play as many games as you can. :B Conceptart.org has lots of resources for artists that is worth checking out. Also, if you aren't already, find and collect concept artists that you look up to - I find some inspiration is always helpful.
Jedejane is offline   Reply With Quote