Old 06-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
percival

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Restarting career

Hello everyone.

I recently completed my PhD in Life Sciences and I realised that this is no longer a path I want to pursue any further (better late than never!) After a lot of thinking, I decided that a career in computer graphics, with a focus on modeling for games, would be much more fulfilling and fitting for me.

I've got little experience with Maya - in the past two-three years, whenever I had the time, I watched online tutorials and videos, and spent many hours creating models, simply because I loved it and wanted to get the hang of it. Of course, this is not enough and in order to start creating a portfolio, I need to learn much more than that. As I see it, I've got these alternatives:

1. attend a bachelor's degree in computer graphics. Moreover, as I am in Europe, one of the more obvious ways for me would be relocating to London and attending at a university there, where many game companies are located. Although I think this would be the best way to go, the financial drain that my PhD was in the previous years makes this choice very hard to pick.

2. attend courses specifically for Maya, 3D studio max etc, either at some school or online, which will definitely be much more affordable for me.

What troubles me at this point, is whether my next step should focus more on obtaining a formal degree (which definitely rules out option 2), or on developing a portfolio. So, I would like to ask your opinion on that. Is there, perhaps, another alternative that I may have missed?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1894
Default Re: Restarting career

Doctor Percival, you most definitely do NOT need more education. What you need now is a portfolio. Only take more courses if you need to, as a way of learning the subject matter.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Lt Topcat

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

From the sounds of it, I would have to agree with tsloper, you do not need another degree, your already Dr. percival.

You will already have many transferible skills from you education in life sciences. Iíd say its time to work on your portfolio, by all mean if taken a course in what ever subject enables you to do this then feel free. If you already have the skill to create a strong portfolio then do just that.

You have a PhD; you are already miles ahead of many applicants.

So my advice if you havenít guessed is to polish off your CV and work on your portfolio.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
percival

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thank you very much, guys, for your responses, I really appreciate it. To tell you the truth, they actually bring me a bit of relief too. Well, I guess, then, I should start creating that portfolio. Now... where to start..?

As a side note to Mr. Sloper: I read the articles at your site (many of them, anyway!) Wow, that's incredible work, sir. Thank you very much for all that information!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Destin Bales

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24

Here are a few tips on creating a portfolio:

http://www.ineedtomakegames.com/how-...portfolio.html

The most important of all is, only show your best work! Quality > Quantity.

Best,

Destin
Old 07-07-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
percival

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thanks for your help, Destin. I'll check it out!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
paulsmithpaul
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

helo guys,i am a graduate. i have wasted my time several times. now i began to think positively. i think i have a good career in writings, so at first i wish to get PhD and i have almost completed my writings for it.

Last edited by paulsmithpaul : 09-06-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsmithpaul View Post
helo guys,i am a graduate. i have wasted my time several times. now i began to think positively. i think i have a good career in writings, so at first i wish to get PhD and i have almost completed my writings for it.
paulsmithpaul:
1. You did not ask a question, so there is nothing to respond to.
2. You tacked your post onto someone else's discussion topic (you "hijacked a thread"). That's bad etiquette. If you have a question to ask, please start a new discussion topic (even if it seems related to someone else's question).

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Closed Thread