Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > More Careers
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
D3T0X

Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Question QA Tester Interview soon...need some advice!

Hello everyone!

To all the members who've seen this post a thousand times, I apologize. I read a few similar posts, hoping to get the answer I needed, but no dice.

My question is this: I have a QA Game Tester interview coming up in about two weeks and the person I spoke to told me that I would be testing an older game and I would have to find four bugs as part of the interview process. I know that the company is Square Enix, so I know I'll be testing one of their games. I have very little experience with finding bugs in games. I've done some end user testing for Activision, but that's a lot different.

If anyone could give me some advice on general QA testing and how it works, I'd really appreciate it. I'm currently reading through some articles on sloperama.com, so I have that area covered.

Thanks in advance!

D3T0X
D3T0X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1784
Default Re: QA Tester Interview soon...need some advice!

What kind of advice or info are you looking for (beyond those articles)? Could you be more specific?

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
D3T0X

Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
What kind of advice or info are you looking for (beyond those articles)? Could you be more specific?
Well, I guess it would be hard for someone to explain the whole QA process, but what would be the best way to go about finding bugs? I've never intentionally looked for bugs in a game before. I've noticed a lot while in games, but is there some sort of method I could work through to test various aspects of the game?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1784

1. Play the heck out of the game.
2. Don't only play it the way you think the designer wants you to. Try doing weird unexpected stuff (shoot hostages, rescue perps, throw away treasure, find garbage, go the opposite way the scroller wants you) so you can see what the game does.
3. Don't play it for fun - play it to see if it works properly. Keep your eyes open.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
D3T0X

Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Thank you for the help. I'll post back after the interview and let everyone know how it went. Noticed you're in LA, so am I
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
tomoegozen

Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

In addition to tsloper's wise words, I think it's worth noting that Square Enix does a lot of localization (this is even more the case if we're talking about an older title). So, I might suggest that you prepare your English proofreading skills and keep an eye out for text bugs in the case that they give you an older FF game or something where it's more localization testing than functionality testing.
tomoegozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
D3T0X

Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Hi everyone. I just got back from my 'bug testing' if you could call it that. I went in around 12:00 and they took me and five other people to the QA department and sat us down with a pen and a couple pages of questions split into 4 sections. The first section was grammar based and multiple choice. There would be a sentence for each question, then I had to choose the right answer. The second section had us epxlain how we would go about showing a product to someone who had never used one. The options were how to make a phone call, brush your teeth and there was one more, but I have forgotten what it was. The third section was four questions long and for each question, there was a line of text. I had to mark whether or not the text was correct, if it wasn't what was wrong with it, what had to be done to fix it, and what the corrected version should look like. The fourth section was optional and I was told that it wouldn't be held against me if I couldn't or didn't want to answer it. The question asked me to list the 6 steps of the scientific method. Since I haven't taken any sort of science class in three years, I couldn't remember any of it.

They told me I would here back from Wired Talent (the temp agency) early next week. Hopefully I'll get called back for an interview.

The weird thing was that I was told a couple of times that I was going to be testing a buggy version of a Final Fantasy game on PS2, but they never had us go through that. Whatever. It's over with and now I just gotta sit back and pray that I get called in for an interview.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1784

detox, great reportage! Thank you so much for sharing your story. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
D3T0X

Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Hey everyone. It's been a couple of weeks, but I thought I'd update everyone...

So the week after I went in for my bug testing I called Wired Talent and talked with an agent who told me I didn't pass the bug test. I was pretty disappointed as you can probably imagine but the next week I got a call back from the temp agency saying I actually DID pass the bug test. I'm not sure if this error was due to miscommunication or what, but hell, I didn't care why. I was just glad I got to go back for an interview.

So I went in to my interview a few days later. I was interviewed by three members of the QA team and they asked me general questions such as "what games do you like to play?", "what is your favorite game," etc. then they asked me what I knew about QA and I gave them the best answers I could. I was really nervous about the interview as I didn't know what to expect but in the end it turned out to be more of a fun conversation than an interview.

After a week of waiting, I called Wired Talent back and they told me that I "passed" the interview. Now I'm waiting for the next project to open up to begin work. I'm really excited for this job even though it's a "contract" job. Anyways, I'll post here once I get called in. Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss1784

Fingers crossed, d3tox.