Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
TBS Ash

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Advice Appreciated.

Hi,
A little about myself first. I am 22 years old living in the UK and working in retail. I did not put the time into college and find myself in a situation that couldn't be further from where I aim to be. I have been trying to get my head round how to break into the games industry for some time put off by the steep learning curve and barriers to entry without a degree.

As times rolling by I am less deterred and more determined to overcome this. I have done a little research into Python with a view to learning my way round UI work and a little (and I do mean a little: the basics would be generous) of C++. In the past I have used RPGmaker ect but the bulk of my experience in this field was whilst I was playing NWN. I was part of a 6-8 man team and asides from using the drag and drop style editor I actually learned a lot of scripting with the help of my team and other resources. I loved it. Getting around 1 hour of sleep a night so I could learn all day and work all night as it were.

So that is about the extent of my expertise. What I would like to know is: What can I do to give myself a fighting chance of making this my career. I don't think I am talented enough with the art-work side of things but definitely have a head for numbers and code. I would love to be pushed in a direction that will yield results as well as bolster my CV and applications for a degree and or job (perhaps a language / editor to bring pet projects to life). QA has gone through my head but I haven't the foggiest where to start looking there (pre-degree work) and isn't the end of my ambition.

Also, I'm sure this isn't the place to say this but well done to the makers of this site. What a great idea and what a great community, there is enough here to have given me the proverbial kick up my arse that I needed to get going on this.

Thanks in advance,

Ash.
TBS Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1870
Default Re: Advice Appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS Ash View Post
Hi,
1. how to break into the games industry
2. ]was] put off by the steep learning curve and barriers to entry without a degree.
3. I actually learned a lot of scripting with the help of my team and other resources.
4. What can I do to give myself a fighting chance of making this my career.
5. I would love to be pushed in a direction that will yield results as well as bolster my CV and applications for a degree and or job
6. QA has gone through my head but I haven't the foggiest where to start looking there
Ash.
1. Sounds like you are considering going back to school for a degree? That would be good, because a degree and a portfolio are what you need.
2. And now you're ready to learn steeply, and get a degree. Good, because you need that degree and a portfolio.
3. So you have 1 project in your portfolio. That's a start. Do you still have the work that you did, do you still have the game your team made, is it possible to make that a part of your portfolio?
4. Get a degree. Build a portfolio. Put your portfolio online.
5. You worked on one project. Work on more.
6. Identify game companies near you. If none are within daily commuting distance, move. Use Gamedevmap and Gameindustrymap. Read http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson5.htm

For more reading: http://sloperama.com/advice.html

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
TBS Ash

Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thank you very much for the response. I have been reading through your website and it's already proving to be an invaluable resource. Excellent, informed and frank advice (I love the brutal honesty through-out). I will be sure to thank you when I get my foot in the door on the way to the 'dream job'.

-Ash
TBS Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1870

YW. Good luck.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote