Old 09-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
rahul_94

Activity Longevity
0/20 1/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Question Degree in Game Design

I am sorry its bit long....anyway

Hello guys i am Rahul and i am currently pursuing in BFA degree in Visual communication from Delhi University, India. Right now i am in 3rd Year of this 4 year programme.

Right from the beginning my choice of interest was in Game Design and development. As planned i thought after completing my graduation in 2016 i would apply for Masters in Game Design from one of the reputed.

The Thing is, i have no knowledge and experience in game design and even if i learn by my self, i wont be able to get that level of expertise which a university demands for its post graduate course.

Recently i met with few university representative from UK and USA, they said that i need to show my game design skills in my portfolio besides drawing and photography. I told them i have 3D work also like modeling and some animation but they said they would evaluate me on my game design skills. And as a matter of fact i have NONE !!

Now i am so much confused what to do as my future is doubtful and my current knowledge will not land me for masters in Game Design.

Can you guys help me what to do ?

Should i Drop my current course and do bachelors in Game Design or should i complete my this degree and then again do bachelors in game design(which would be no point, for having same degree).

Please help me...

sorry for inconvenience..

Thanks in advance
rahul_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1894
Default Re: Degree in Game Design

Namaste, Rahul.
This isn't a matter of dropping courses or changing your degree. Those schools are only asking for a game design portfolio. Some schools might think a game design portfolio should have some programming in it - but for those schools you can probably just make something in Game Maker or RPG Maker or another such simple tool. You should write some game concepts and game treatments (no need, probably, for a full GDD). And you probably should make a demo in Game Maker or RPG Maker, or another such - but it would probably impress them more if you made a mod, or made something in a game engine. In my opinion, making something in a game engine goes far beyond Game Design, but I don't know what those schools are expecting. Their expectations are probably pretty high for a masters in game design. You need to get your hands dirty with game design!

You should probably build a game design-focused web portfolio. You can include some of your modeling and animation on there, but that isn't really game design-focused. You can read some books on game design and start building stuff in your spare time.

Then there's the question of why go for the masters in game design. But since you're from Asia, I understand that you probably expect to get a masters (and/or your parents expect you to, and/or a prospective bride would expect you to). Most game companies outside of Asia don't demand or expect a masters degree - just a bachelors, AND A PORTFOLIO.

This might help: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson12.htm

btw, I deleted your other post. Please don't crosspost.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:05 AM   #3
rahul_94

Activity Longevity
0/20 1/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thanks TSLOPER

i feel much convinced

so should i do graduation in Game design and find a suitable job there. and leave my current degree.
rahul_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1894

The game industry doesn't "require" a Game Design degree, and the job of Game Designer is not an entry-level job.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson14.htm
But if a degree in game design is what you want, go for it. Just realize that the degree is not a guarantee of a job.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote