Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Programming
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #21
chrono1699

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

i agree, i was looking at the contrasts between a project that has this and one without...There's a big advantage obviously the team will have the ability at looking at diffeent versions of codes...With this we as the team can see if there is evidence of optimization...Getting off the subject here but, has anyone else thought up of any good ideas of a good game?
chrono1699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #22
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

52 game ideas: http://www.patrickcurry.com/thoughts/?page_id=67

Pick one.

Still need inspiration? http://www.squidi.net/three/index.php
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #23
chrono1699

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

wow, that's a heck of a lot of ideas! i know i know...it's called google, thanks for the post by the way.
chrono1699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 AM   #24
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Actually, its called bookmarking when I find something interesting that I might use in the future . Seriously, the first link has been sitting in my bookmarks for a year.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #25
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Hello everyone.

It's good to see that we are all on the same page and see the importance in keeping things as organized as possible.

In regards to the issue of SVN it sounds like a good idea. (SVN IS A SOFTWARE USED SO THAT PEOPLE CAN "CHECK OUT" FLIES. SIMILAR TO A LIBRARY) Another option which does not require the learning curve that is involved in SVN is a central FTP that people can access upload and download. Everyone would have there own login and we could turn over wright off. The problem with this is that at some point all the code from everyone would need to be assembled.

I have done 2 larger projects and 1 small project that did not use the SVN software. they all turned out fine. The only difference was that people where there to integrate the code together. This is not available online unless we do voice chat or something and thats just a hassle.

To put it simply we are using SVN in all our future projects with intentions of getting either Source Safe of Alienbrain when the budget allows it. So rather then putting it up to a vote or something democratic like that, I'm going to go ahead and say that we will use SVN since if you have not used it before you will need the training if you intend to get a job in the industry.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #26
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

I've never used SVN but flicked through http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.pdf just now. Looks like a pretty straightforward CLI. Will be setting up a sandbox to play around with ^^
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #27
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagNasty View Post
Another option which does not require the learning curve that is involved in SVN is a central FTP that people can access upload and download. Everyone would have there own login and we could turn over wright off. The problem with this is that at some point all the code from everyone would need to be assembled.

I have done 2 larger projects and 1 small project that did not use the SVN software. they all turned out fine. The only difference was that people where there to integrate the code together. This is not available online unless we do voice chat or something and thats just a hassle.
I was about to say, I have had experience using FTP as a code depot and it was a frigging nightmare. Manual integration of code is not fun. Also without revision history, it became really difficult to find out who did what, when and why. However, saying that I will admit that it is the 'easiest' option to setup short-term as we don't have to train anyone in how to use it but have a nasty feeling long term, there will be major problems.

Quote:
To put it simply we are using SVN in all our future projects with intentions of getting either Source Safe of Alienbrain when the budget allows it. So rather then putting it up to a vote or something democratic like that, I'm going to go ahead and say that we will use SVN since if you have not used it before you will need the training if you intend to get a job in the industry.
Source Safe is okay for small teams, it doesn't tend to scale well. Alienbrain, from what I have heard over various channels is not great and has had many problems with code in the past. Go for Perforce, it is easily the best source control software I have used and well worth the money. Or stick with SVN if the budget doesn't allow.

Adrir: Use TortoiseSVN for Windows instead. It is an Explorer plugin that has a bunch of tools to do merges, blame and diffs. It is also much easier to use compared to CLI in my opinion.

Edit: I forgot about this being in my bookmarks. A list of possible libraries to use: http://www.twilightsembrace.com/personal/gamelibs.php

Last edited by yaustar : 11-09-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #28
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

I used TortoiseSVN and still have it on my computer. I did source control for a project was an interesting task to say the least.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 AM   #29
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshonk View Post
I used SVN for a two month 4 man project and it worked fine. But everyone has to know what they are doing with it or else you can erase someone else's code.
I just re-read this. You can't erase someone else's code. You can replace it but there is always a revision history that you can revert to or see the differences from. That is the beauty of source control, you can't actually lose any work that you submit without actually nuking the depot.

If worse comes to worse, then we can use exclusive file checkouts (or file locks) which means no two people can be working on the same file at the same time. A lot more hassle but it immediately solves the problem you highlighted.

Last edited by yaustar : 11-10-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #30
orin999

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default I think i could help

i recently graduated with a game design degree from collins college. i already have a start of a demo and a level designer willing to jump on board. http://10is2.net/y_me_demo.wmv this is the demo video of what we already have. i lost my other programmer but i did most of the work anyway. though most of this code is based off tutorials i am beginning to understand more and more how to make custom stuff. i also have and indie license for the game engine. i have been programming in c++ now off and on for 4 years tho i have forgotten a lot of it as i am a web developer programming in actionscript right now. my current and ongoing project is www.neblu.com which can also be used to supplement contact problems as it is a social site that supports collaboration on projects and currently it has unlimited uploads though it is buggy right now as we are in open beta. anyway back to my demo we have revamped the level it takes place in many times now as my level designer keeps getting board with it. and if you want back story and whatnot i have full documentation for this idea. even if you guys are not interested in the idea i would still want to get onboard with whatever project you guys decide to do.
orin999 is offline   Reply With Quote