Get the latest Education e-news

Old 11-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
bak_38

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Where to start....

Hey guys, I just recently found this site (and am very glad I did) and was hoping I could get some help

First off, I'm 17 and a senior in High School and with graduation coming closer and closer, I've got to start figuring out what I'm going to do next year. Obviously why I'm here, is because I am really excited to try and get a career in the video game industry....

That said, I still honestly dont know what to do or where to go to get there. I'm pretty sure that I want to try and become either a designer or producer (not entirely sure what all the producers job entails though)

Trouble is that I live in the middle of Kansas, with hardly any schools for this nearby. According to this site's school list, the only one in Kansas is Johnson County Community College, which had a recently started 'Game Development Curriculum' offering some courses in the field http://www.jccc.net/home/catalog/def...ms/AAS-GAMEDEV

Is something like that actually a good way to get going? Could you actually get a job somewhere after completing that? I'm sure its better to go somewhere else, but going out of State is very expensive, and I'm not sure if Im ready to move that far away from home yet

Now that I'm rambling, Ive also read some stuff on here about people getting started using programs and other stuff, and doing it in their spare time. I have no experience with much of anything (very little Game Maker). Ive seen things like Torque being thrown around....do I need to start learning that or something similar on my own? Or is that for people who want to be programmers? I feel like I'm over my head reading around here sometimes

Anyway, any push in the right direction would be awesome. I realize Im late in the game already, being in the middle of my Senior year, so I need to get on the ball Any advice is very appreciated. Thanks for reading
bak_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default Where to start

Welcome! Applying to college can be massively stressful. And trying to do that while also seriously considering your future career goals can just seem overwhelming. But don't worry! It doesn't have to be!

I recommend you start on our Getting Started page: http://gamecareerguide.com/getting_started/

Read the FAQs for high school students as well as "Game Design: An Introduction" and "Game Production: An Introduction." Those will help you better understand what it means to be a game designer and producer.

The other thing I want to stress is that for your undergraduate education, DO NOT WORRY TOO MUCH about going to a school that offers a game-specific course. You can take classes in the things that interest you. Get a wide and comprehensive education. Make sure to throw in a computer science class or two so that you know a little about C++. But study what you are interested in. The video game industry needs people who know a lot about a lot of things, so even an education in Russian literature can be useful.

Meanwhille, while in college, join groups that have some connection to video games. Or if there isn't one, start one. Try to initiate things around campus that have to do with games, whether it's a dorm night of board games and card games or a video game tournament to raise money for charity.

Initiating projects and following through on them is equally important on your resume as a degree.

Hope that's helpful to get you started!