Old 06-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
motifated

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default books..

hello everybody..

i'm want to start learning how to program and i'm starting by self study for as of the moment, i can't support myself to go to a school.

what books out there are really good? i mean from the basics of programming..i wouldn't want a book that i can't understand and make me take a step back or two, that would be wasting some money for me. i want to take it step by step and from the start.

and one thing too, i'm planning to get myself a PC and would a MAC be recommended? for programming? or a PC first?
motifated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

A PC would be the best for programming as for books please refer to this thread.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
Dominia

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

In stead of books I would look to the internet for tutorials and guides. Just about every language has some info on it especailly for beginners (for PR purposes) so finding a tutorial via google wouldn't be that hard. That was how I learned Python and Lua.

As far as books go, some of my most favorite programming books are the "for dummies" book series. The only one I would not pick up though is "Java for Dummies" since imo the author spent too much time on applets and not enough on coding. The "Programming with C++ (Java, ect....): Crash Course" by John Hubbard (part of the 'Schaum's Easy Outlines' series) also works pretty good too but is a little thin.

When you get more advanced I would pick up "Window's Game Programing for Dummies". Great great read and taught me a lot about system calls, the OS and how graphics works.

Another good game programing book for when you get more experience would be "Game Coding Complete" by Mike McShaffry. He is one of the old Origin Lead programmers and shares a lot of helpful tips (though most are more geared toward large projects).

And finally if you really want to 'learn' about languages and not just their syntax, then you ought to pick up the text book "Programming Language Pragmatics" by Michael L. Scott. It will teach you more in depth about how languages work and the key concepts (recursion, iterators, abstraction, inheritance, garbage collectors...) behind them. You could then take that knowledge apply it to every other language you learn so it would take less time. The book is a text book though so it may not be as fun to read.

--Jason Hooten
Dominia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
motifated

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default harigato!

hagnasty, dominia, thanks a lot!
motifated is offline   Reply With Quote