Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123
Default World of Warcraft. Yay or Nay

I have been requested to find out peoples opinions about the phenomenon that is world of warcraft. What do people think of this game?

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:14 AM   #2
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Well i personally don't play, I like and dislike a lot of aspects of what this game has brought. First off it has brought a lot of media attention to the industry (positive and negative) and got a lot of new gamers to play and done a lot for online communities. But at the same time i have seen some negative aspects i have seen kids fail out of my school (Full Sail) because they spend to much time on WoW and not enough on school. Also my Brother in-law used to be hardcore WoW player who has recently quit. He said he loves the fact that he can have more of a life and play other games he doesn't feel tied down to WoW anymore. Just a few stories i personally like the game though i don't play.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Dominia

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

After playing wow off and on (both hardcore raiding and casual) since a little after alpha, all I can say is WoW is a balancing act just like any influence in a person's life. Spending all day trolling forums, practicing a sport, or watching TV will all have a negative impact in your life if you allow it. Moderation seems to be a skill most now a days seem to lack.

From a design standpoint (keep in mind I have no formal training in game design just relating experience) WoW succeeds on many levels. The classes, while not always being well balanced from a players standpoint, are all fleshed out and play very differently. The same can not always be said for mmo's in the fantasy setting. With combat also being very responsive, WoW has a great base for pvp, though their implementation (static battlegrounds, very little world pvp, unbalanced arena system) leaves many with a sour taste.

The UI, while having a rocky start in the mod community, is by far one of the best UI's to date in the MMO genre. Boss fights can be particularly intricate especially when raiding. Compared to many MMO's (EQ, FFXI, EQ2 ect..) that I've played at endgame, the battles are well thought out and after the expansion pack pretty scripted (not to a point which I would prefer, but much better then the previously mention). For great examples of fun battles YouTube Razorgore (an old 40 man boss) or more recently the Theater Event is quite interesting (really any of the Karazan battles are fun).

The quest system is easy and to wrap your head around, and efficient enough to be productive alone, but does not reward exploration. This seems to be a common theme though with WoW. Taking your time leveling and having fun in the 60 areas take a back seat to rapid feeling to grind out levels asap. At 60 and above in outland, much of that pacing problem is fixed as the levels slow down and the instances become more prevalent but WoW never escapes the feeling of rushing you to 70.

My biggest gripe is how loot centric it's reward system is. As compared to say FFXI where loot is a second act to it's storyline, WoW's storyline remains hard, hidden and overall a non factor to 90% or more of the population. In WoW, expect to run a dungeon as many times as it takes to gear up sjust o you can run the next dungeon on the check list. Even finally with the addition of Illidan and some real story elements to the action, the punch is just not there for me at least and instead makes me want to play LoTR's or GW's more and more.

Review----
+ classes
+ gui
+ easy for anyone to pick up
+ very polished gameplay and combat
+ fun boss fights and pretty good / unique dungeon design
+ lots of rep grinding means you are always working towards somthing

- dated graphics, uninspired art sometimes
- lack of story elements (which is a shame since Warcraft has one of the better lore's in all of gaming)
- gear based endgame, not story or achievement driven
- no drive to explore, only to get to 70 where the game begins
- lots of rep grinding means... lots of rep grinding =.=

Overall --
- B+, one of the best polished overall MMO experiences next to LoTR and EQ2 (EQ2 has come a very very very long way if you have never haven't played in a while), but lack of innovation means not to leave your current MMO looking for something new.

--Jason Hooten

(this is not a complete review by any stretch of the imagination, but a condensed one =) )
Dominia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Charles S.

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

For me, nay. It is just another MMORPG that appeared out of the blue, Runescape is the only MMORPG game that I have actually enjoyed.
Charles S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Dominia

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

hmmm runescape huh? to put my score in perspective (remember these are opinions and happily open to debate)...

-A = Lord of the Rings Online, great world, storyline based missions, beautiful design, ingenious use of deed system, classes don't seem as fleshed out as other games. (still early)

-A = Guild Wars, free, good story based missions, great class structure and combos, very beautiful graphics, restrictive movement, only instanced, combat is too fast paced so can get button mashy.

+B = EVE Online, open ended gameplay (total sandbox), player driven storyline and well... player driven everything, great all be it simple graphics, strategic pvp that has harsh (realistic) death penalty, very innovative, complex for beginners, hard to feel attached to your character, non-existent pve,

+B = World of Warcraft, look above.

B = EverQuest 2, good quest system, lots of updates/content, hardest working devs in the business imo, engaging environment and dungeons, simple combat, many classes act and feel the same, with low rez computers characters can appear plastic-y.

B = Dark Age of Camelot, 3 factions, great pvp (RvRvR), a very organized group can take out a zerg, pve expansions killed it, very talented artists can do wonders with their engine, originally was coded all by one guy.

-B = Final Fantasy XI, one of my personal favorites for some reason though i can't even seem to stick with it, great story line missions, good use of group dynamics and classes (for the most part), great example of a none gear based game (gear can last 20+ levels at a time), forced grouping can be fun or challenging, can only grind to level, takes a lot of dedication as endgame is the most time consuming of any other then maybe EQ, pigeon hole speccing, great community but tight knit so hard to 'get in', bad UI.

-B = Ultima Online, open ended gameplay, great 'master' system of leveling, good pvp with death penalty, can live in the world, outdated (score was higher 5 years ago).

+C = Star Wars Galaxies,
fun and engaging, weird health system, did not understand the need to have dancers classes (even for RP), slow combat, didn't play that long.

C = Shadowbane, very harsh death penalty, very very fun pvp and castle sieges, no quests or soloing, only grinding, imbalanced guild mechanics lead to one guild taking over a server easily.

-C = Vanguard, released wayy to early, a beautiful world of nothingness, no instances, takes a large time commitment, not solo friendly but grouping was fun, major bug problems still as of (may '07) when my account expired.

I've not played runescape but after watching my girlfriend play a bit of it i'd probably relate it closest to EQ2 as far as quality goes but with worse graphics

NOTE: all games I just gave a review for I have played to mid level at least, while most I have played to high level. Only WoW, shadowbane and FFXI could i ever claim to of played at endgame for an extended amount of time.

--Jason Hooten
Dominia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
D@vid

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default Addicting?

It took me a long for me to realize why I liked WoW. It sounds weird but I would play and complain about the freakin game for hours and stay on it for the same hours. One problem I hate most, which is the most important, is the lack of character creation or options your given. You can't manipulate the height, width, facial features, or any of the kind. I think I spent a whole 5 minutes on my character creation. The other thing that cheeses me off is how horrible and unbalanced the classes are. I think it's because each class has a "Snooze you lose" deal to their skills. For example, if you get frozen in place by a mage, there is nothing you can do about it. If a rogue disappears you can't do anything about it. Or, better yet, the spell Fear. Fear cannot be stopped and I know because everyone hates it because to even stop it requires this rare item that only Hardcore freaks can obtain. I think to a very sickly hardcore WoW fan, it's arguable.

But overall the experience is satisfying and I think it's because of it's style, artwork, music, and community. I played EQ2, SwG, D&D, and CoH and they mostly put me off because of the boring enviornments and boring sound, and boring gameplay. EQ2 wasn't alive like WoW was. They offered many more classes and races but they just felt boring to use. With SWG the quests seemed redundant and bland. Most of the quests I would get is, "Kill the [something] hive/or nest," or "Go deliver this letter." It was a beautiful game and somewhat fun to battle with but overall it's just boring. D&D I would like to play more because I love the rule system and classes but the graphics were so irritating to look at. Why did they make it so blurry? And the world seemed closed off, like I was trapped in a box. CoH was the only one that I could play more of if it wasn't for the boring combat. It seemed like I could press any skill or ability and it would produce the same outcome. Like a Telekinetic mutant would levitate this thug and throw him down on the floor, causes some damage and this other ability would do something else but that's it. WoW, even with it's issues, each abilitie and skill have purpose that makes a difference in battle and is vital to each encounter. The enviornment is colorful and alive. The quests are obvious and easy to pick up and understand. The whole theme of it is relaxing. That is why I was addicted to WoW.
D@vid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
Torenn

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

World of Warcraft was my first MMO, as I came from more of a first-person shooter background. I thought it was a great game that offered unique gameplay to what I had been used to. It had a slower pace than games like Quake or Half-Life, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Gaining levels and successfully completing dungeons actually gave me a sense of accomplishment. But once I hit the level cap, that quickly diminished.

PvP just wasn't as exciting for me as multiplayer FPS battles, and PvE raiding wasn't all that appealing to me either. I went on a couple Molten Core raids, and I spent more time standing around waiting on the other 39 people than actually playing (or so it seemed). So my character kind of stagnated, and I began to lose interest in the game.

One year and multiple rerolled characters later, I've finally cancelled my account. I still think WoW is a great game, but it just isn't for me anymore. I enjoy FPS games because I can just jump in, have a few quick games online, then go about my business. There isn't too much of a commitment there. WoW on the other hand, started to take up too much of my time; it began to feel like a second job.
Torenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torenn View Post
WoW on the other hand, started to take up too much of my time; it began to feel like a second job.
That's how I've always felt. Personally, I've never played the game, but I am always around someone who has. And, I remember during finals week, when we were pulling all-nighters to finish our database and game projects, one guy got a call from some raiding partners about a raid the next night. He sat there contemplating whether to take some time to participate in the raid or not, and I find that a little silly. Don't get me wrong, I love RPGs. I like online play. But, I don't view games as something that has to become a part of your weekly or daily schedule. They are supposed to be there for when you WANT to play, not to make you feel like you have an obligation to play. Again, this comes from someone who hasn't played the game; it's only an outsiders view.
fullmetal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:03 AM   #9
Goplay

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

It really is a shame. Though I understand why Blizzard are rewarding the players willing to put in the (hardcore) hours. I loved wow but cant enjoy it for the the time commitment required. I'm looking forward to Diablo 3. We get the dungeons with our friends through battle.net and it looks to be much much more disposable. We may even see a decline in time heavy mmo players. As far as i can tell Blizz are missing a huge market. Most of the gamers i know want a long, monthly, online waste of time, that little social escape, that rewards them without stealing the hours too. More and more of us are struggling to find the income needed to satisfy the console markets. I have friends that have been paying 100 plus a month for console games that dont last the weekend. Many would be happier with the monthly subscription. It's the time intensive part of the mmo's that stops them. Do any of you think this group of peoples need could be satisfied in an mmo? or are they/me looking in the wrong place?
Goplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464

The main reason I don't play MMOs frequently anymore is because of the time investment required. I'm busy enough as it is working on database projects and IT problems all day, then programming at home, while juggling a social life and the games soc. I've lost so many weekends to paintballing, laserquest, barbeques and LANs! I never seem to get anything done!

Game's I've enjoyed have included Runescape, SWG, WoW, GW & EvE Online. These days I only play GW occasionally when my friends call me on skype.

Last edited by Adrir : 11-03-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote