Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #21
Bgrizzmayne

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

What's the concencus on SCAD? I know it's quite pricey, but is it worth the cash? I'm going to look into what degree courses they offer.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #22
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgrizzmayne View Post
is it worth the cash?
Read FAQ 66: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/route66.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #23
thecore95

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgrizzmayne View Post
What's the concencus on SCAD? I know it's quite pricey, but is it worth the cash? I'm going to look into what degree courses they offer.
I thinks its worth the money as you will get all of the traditional art skills you need which in the long run will translate over to 3d modeling and that seems to be the general consensus when it comes to having a successful edge in making this a carrier. I believe if you do more research you'll find something less expensive that will give you just as much.

I also advise you to think about what you really want to have a strength in. I'm a student at Fullsail online. So far the only thing that concerns me the most is not having a strength. I have a great foundation I've learned a lot in a short amount of time and I'm still very much at the beginning stages but the fact of the matter is I'm only getting a month per class. If you have an idea about what you really want to do within the field, I suggest finding a program that strengthens that. There is nothing wrong with having a great background in everything but you definitely want to be able to put your best foot forward in what you feel passionate about. I may be rambling a bit but I just want to give my take cause honestly you really don't know what your getting into until your in it so really take the time and find out what inspires you the most.

I can tell you there about 5 major disciplines when it comes to 3D and that is modeling,lighting,texturing,rigging,animation
Old 10-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #24
Bgrizzmayne

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Thanks for the input, core. I would say my strength is more in design rather than programming, not to mention it's what I enjoy the most. The actual programming I have done for games thus far is simply a means to express the design/creativity. Later down the line, on a big team, that wouldn't be as much of a factor. I'd be told what to program and implement rather than doing that myself.

My drawing and design are big strengths, though I have no formal art background, which is something I'll surely need. I'm also looking at taking classes to further my programming base. Ultimately, though, I'd like to attend a design program such as SCAD, Pasadena, or Ringling, and eventually be placed in the industry. The ultimate goal is to be a game designer, but that is far off. Either way, I'll need a strong understanding and grasp over both design and programming. But my strength seems to be in design, so I think that's what I will pursue for my bachelor's degree.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #25
MacIan

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Post The best Game Art College?

I noticed lots of posts in regards to your question. I think we can all say in our own opinions what we think about or have experienced in our adventure through the Game Art and Design program. I would like to share with you my opinion. I am currently a Game Art and Design student online at Westwood College. Before I went to Westwood I went through The Art Institute Online and Devry trying to seek out the right Gaming path for me. I tried both programming and the art side. I am more of a visual person myself. I would like to be verse in all aspects of the game design process but I would much rather see the work I do and feel the accomplishment I get when designing something. With that said, I am in the Navy and joined to get that degree. I was stationed in Italy and started going to the Art Institute Online and after about a year I was having issues with the online department and my situation. I did however enjoy the classes but I didn't feel like I was getting everything I wanted out of it. I was being tossed in to more GEN ED classes back to back and not being able to spread out my core classes so I wasn't bored with the degree. From there I switched to Devry and left because I didn't like the programming side being strictly that and no design. After a while of searching and looking on www.adigitaldreamer.com I noticed Westwood College jump up to the #1 spot for Game Art and Design schools. My uncle is a game designer (composer) for Neversoft and told me that they really enjoy seeing students come out of that program from Westwood. I was like, "awesome!" I talked to them and it was just amazing and as some of the others said in their posts about their schools I say about Westwood. I am getting everything and more out of the school. Not to mention when you get a degree you can go back for FREE to take classes where technology has advanced and become up to date for your studio that your working for. Aside from this long boring email I say do your research and find what interests you and gives you exactly what you want. I forgot to mention that here you can take a GEN ED class (which you don't have to now) and a core class together so you are enjoying every minute of your work. I love the school and appreciate what they have done for me. There program is amazing and all the professionals in the industry teach the classes. Its great! Good luck!

Best Wishes
-Garrett
Old 12-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #26
ryan.george

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss130

The best college is the college you apply yourself to. You can go anywhere and graduate, but it's up to you to push yourself for greatness.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #27
cold tator

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I have been looking for a good way to get into the video game industry and still get an education at a University. Currently, I am considering going to Texas Tech for a computer science degree so I can work as an IT for a company and save money for an art education at an art school, preferably Full Sail. Is this a good career and education plan? I would appreciate some advice and help.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #28
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1882

cold: The best college is the college you apply yourself to. You can go anywhere and graduate, but it's up to you to push yourself for greatness.
You should choose a school you can afford, and that best meets your needs.
Nobody cares what school you went to -- the important thing is that you apply yourself, get a degree, and build a solid portfolio.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson25.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #29
popeyepete

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Re: Best Game Art college?

I complete AIO last year and I really liked it. It's true that you do everything yourself, without attending a normal class, but I like it that way....the convenience and independance. I learned a lot, and found the course having a lot of content. Good luck.
Closed Thread