Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Crastin

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35
Default How old is too old?

Hello, i'm in the process of starting a career in video game design (lead) which is a four year degree at the school i'll be attending. My biggest fear is that i'm too old to enter this field. I'm 25 and will be near 30 by time I graduate. Will companies turn me down? I was under the impression that companies want younger candidates because they believe they have a fresh perception and innovative mind. I would like to say however that I feel this is the absolute best field for me and that, given the chance, I will succeed. My only worry is that I won't be given much of a chance based on my age. Is this superfluous? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Crastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

I wouldn't think so. There are guys in at my school in their late 20s and early 30s.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
Thumper_34

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59

They don't care how old you are. If you have an amazing portfolio they will give you a job. Just make sure that you put your all into your education, I have seen alot of people that think Game Design just means you can slack off and play games all day....Thats not true, you have to be both passionate and talented to get a job.
Thumper_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Crastin

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35

That's such a relief to hear. I'm absolutely positive i'll do well in this field, four years just seemed like a long time at my age. I was pretty sure a Game Design degree wouldn't mean playing video games all day, not quite sure where anyone gets that idea but I love the conceptual ideas and mechanical functions of video games just as much as playing them so i'm really eager to start learning.
After reading what seems like hundreds of articles on this site and gamasutra i'm trying to start networking and have been writing design docs on games I own as practice. Also, i'm setting up a MySpace to blog about new game releases and various other issues in the video game industry. I wasn't sure if writing reviews for games just yet is a good idea or not, since i'm not as experienced as a graduate or actual developer. Should this be something I wait until I have more education under my belt?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
Thumper_34

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59

"Should this be something I wait until I have more education under my belt?"

Its never to early to start anything. My philosophy is work as hard as you can now, so you don't have to work as hard later.

Meaning learn everything you can now so you will not stress as much later.
I would start reviewing games. Start reading other Game Designer/Artist/Programmer blogs too
www.netvibes.com
is an amazing place to find blogs on games and also lots of random things.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
dmcgraw

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss25

I wouldn't worry about your age. Just continue to be passionate about what you love and things will fall into place.

Hell, I'm 25, and I'll be graduating when I'm 26. I'll be able to tell you what they think of older people next year. We'll see what happens. If anybody tells me I'm too old, I might just give them the finger and start my own development company.

Haha.
LinkedIn Profile IGDA Member
dmcgraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Crastin

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35
Default reply

Hah, that's great. I suppose i've had an uneasy feeling in general because how many students get to work for a career at something they love to do rather than what would make insane amounts of money? Luckily I have a very supportive family.
I'm totally psyched about this though and have taken the previous advice to heart. I'm continuing to write reviews/blogs on video games and the industry and will have a new one each Friday. If anyone cares to check it out, it's on MySpace.com and the user name is Crastin, or just use this link url]http://www.myspace.com/crastin43[/url] . I'll work it into my signature later.

Last edited by Crastin : 11-20-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
Uther Mortigast

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgraw View Post
If anybody tells me I'm too old, I might just give them the finger and start my own development company.
Haha.
Then you can hire me to come program for you, as I'll be almost 40 by the time I graduate.

I, too, have wondered if I'm a bit long in the tooth to enter the game programming field, but I got over it. Let's face it, if someone doesn't hire you because of their ageism, they're doing you a favor -- you don't want to work there.

However, I cannot imagine that your age would be a major factor in determining your employability for most game developers. I would think they would focus more on your talents and skills (including and outside of game development), your attitude and demeanor, and your work history and/or education. In a nutshell; who are you and what have you done lately?

Still, if you worry about them viewing your "older" age as a negative, change your perspective and theirs. Instead of being someone who lacks innovation, be someone who doesn't wish to reinvent everything the company does. Rather than have fresh ideas, have true to life inspired ideas gained from your experiences. Stress your maturity and stability, and show them that you're not young enough to know everything anymore.

Just don't seem too eager to hear about their retirement plans. *winks*
Uther Mortigast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
Crastin

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35
Default myspace reviews

I posted my first game review on http://www.myspace.com/crastin43. I think I need to write more on the technical aspects of a game I just got excited about my choice for that week. I post one at least every friday and plan to cover other topics about the industry and various other things in between. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
fenderize

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

Hello,

If you are worried about how long your program takes, there are good alternatives out there. I myself took a one year design program and I had a design position job before I graduated. I'm now closing in on 2 years experience. Having a solid education background means allot but not matter what anyone says, most companies look for experience. Its all about the contacts you make at school, if your good at what you do and can talk to the right people it will just work.
fenderize is offline   Reply With Quote