Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
gcnd0001

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default New MMORPG

Me and some friends want to make a MMORPG but we have no knowledge of anything just ideas and we are trying to learn c++ can any one help
gcnd0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254

Don't. A MMORPG takes a team close to a hundred or more in size and years to develop. Also taking into account that this is a professional team and large resources to call from, how long do you think it will take you to actually finish your game.

Aim your sights a lot lower to start with.

Read these links: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mak...ient=firefox-a
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464

Once you become comfortable with programming, a server-client text-based MUD might be a nice project to start with.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
Sadr

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

MMOs to indies are like cigarettes to the people. Slowly but steadily they get to ya. Actually, in many cases it's more like cianyde, trust me as I've seen it with my own eyes countless times. Although I'd like to say that MMOs aren't really meant to be made by indie developers with the technology we have at hand these days, there are those who are experienced and structured enough to pull it off. Still, these people are developers who probably could go straight into the professional industry if they wanted to, and most definately will should they wish to do so after finishing their grand project.

If you don't even know how to code, at all, I usually find modifications a good place to start, seeing as it's very easy to do it step-by-step in those. Take Blizzard's Wc3 editor for instance. It let's you start out with a simple GUInterface, from which you can alter a whole lot in a map, provided that you learn the GUI well enough. After having been familiarized with the GUI, you can start scripting in the JASS language (I don't know about JASS for Wc3, but JASS2 for SC2 is rumored to be quite similar to C++), basically doing over again what you previously did with the help of the GUI, just this time in pure code. Also, the every so quick results you get when working with a mod is very rewarding, and keeps your spirits up.
Sadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
jediokie

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

How about starting off with a smallish RPG first. Bard's Tale is still an awesome game and would take little programming to replicate its style. While not visually dynamic it would give you a very firm grasp of the beginings of what an MMO would take.
jediokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Sadr has good advice. I do remember seeing a small MMO made with the WC3 map editor.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
wobalisk

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

I know the idea may sound a bit impossible as most mmorpgs are big huge companies. But I believe that it could be done and in fact I am atempting to make one myself, I have a small website with a SMF forum on it and some java mini games and I hope to start on the main game sometime around april 18th.

It may only be me and it may be a tiny site but if I work hard enough at it I should be able to make one, at least thats what I think.

Also the way I would go around making an mmorpg is to make a basic rpg with most of the basic ideas you want to include, and also make a server client chat program. Then you will basicly have everything you need made you will just have to mix it around and store the data differntly.

This may not be that good advice as I have just started here and have even just started programming but I hope that this is helpful
wobalisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobalisk View Post
Also the way I would go around making an mmorpg is to make a basic rpg with most of the basic ideas you want to include, and also make a server client chat program. Then you will basicly have everything you need made you will just have to mix it around and store the data differntly
Not quite but at least you have the right idea of building up the game from a 1 player RPG and slowly adding multiplayer features. There are also hardware issues to consider such as:

Will the server be able to scale from 16 players to 1024?
How will you use the bandwidth efficiently so that it doesn't cost a lot to host a server?

Don't worry about them now as they will come with experience as you progress through the project.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
wobalisk

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Thanks I know that finding a server huge enough will be one of the more expensive parts to making one. You might know more about it than me but how well does the way google uses work? Like instead of 1 super computer mabye 500 terrible ones.
wobalisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #10
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254

Lots and lots of computers that spilt the workload between them on a REALLY high bandwidth connection. It is also likely that they have optimised the procedures to perform the tasks as well.