UOIT is here to meet the needs of the students of the 21st century.
We've combined the academic excellence of a traditional university with
career-focused learning and preparation for the future. We aspire to
the highest quality of teaching, research, and professional practice.
At UOIT, you can count on an outstanding educational experience for
your son or daughter. Our professors will inspire them. Undergraduate
research is a reality, not an empty promise. And as Ontario's only
laptop-based university, we use leading edge educational technology to
enhance learning and give our students a competitive edge in tomorrow's
Created by the Legislative Assembly of Ontario on June 27, 2002, UOIT was founded on the following tenets:
- The university would be Ontario's first laptop university, with wired and wireless access across campus.
- It would accept up to 1,000 students in 2003 and grow to 6,500 by 2010.
- The university would offer a range of career-focused undergraduate and graduate degree programs, some of them unique in Canada.
- It would provide an array of student services to promote academic excellence and personal success.
Today, UOIT is a reality! Our beautiful campus is growing fast, and
already includes a series of academic buildings, a new residence
village, and beautiful outdoor spaces, all designed to encourage
interaction among students. Located in the heart of Durham Region, just
an hour's drive east to Toronto, our campus is easily accessed via GO
train and local transit.
Mobile Learning environment
The mobile learning fee for full-time students is $1,480 per year.
By buying in volume, the university is able to pass on volume discounts
and services to students. Benefits include:
- Each student at this university receives a current Lenovo ThinkPad
with hardware and software provided at approximately half the cost of
owning a personal laptop.
- Computer fees qualify for the tuition tax credit.
- Common hardware, software, and standard configuration provide equal
opportunity for each student, regardless of program or financial
- Students receive technology support and personal assistance (e.g.,
assistance in configuring, training seminars, hardware servicing).
- The laptop is upgraded every two years.
- The university has a comprehensive data network built into the campus and residence infrastructure.
- Electronic classrooms have projection equipment and full multimedia support.
- Wireless technology is available in common public areas (e.g.,
learning commons, and cafeterias). Every laptop has a wireless network
Bachelor of Information Technology (Honours) - Game Development and Entrepreneurship
Designed to provide students with a wide range of game design and programming expertise, the bachelor of information technology (honours) offers this specialization in game development and entrepreneurship.
Students are introduced to game technology and theory, and to the artistic and creative side of game development. The program is unique in that it emphasizes entrepreneurship. Students acquire knowledge in the areas of business and management and develop entrepreneurial skills.
Graduates will have the knowledge and skill set to be successful in the game industry, as employees or as entrepreneurs in charge of developing and managing their own gaming businesses.