Game Career Guide is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Get the latest Education e-news
  • Student Project Postmortem: It's A Blob

    - Daniel Gregory
  • In this postmortem, I'll discuss the game project that my peers and I did for an assignment, which also involved writing a postmortem. It's a Blob is a Uni student project and is also the first one that we have done together and made publicly available.

    Things that Worked

    Aesthetics and Mechanics

    The aesthetics of It's a Blob was something that went well especially for having to make them within 13 weeks and the current skill level of our team which varied. We were able to make them through Photoshop and then import them into unity. Thankfully this didn't take too much time and helped us with time, another thing that we did before fully building the game was making sure the mechanics of the game worked to some degree. With what we had and the time we also had, this wasn't too hard. We did find some difficulty but ultimately surpassed the problems and made it work in our built game.

    The Idea

    Originally our idea for our project was going to be a 2D side scroller that involved climbing fences. However our team thought that it would be to easy to make so instead we scrapped this and talked further about what we could make. With the influence of Chips Challenge and Crash Bandicoot we made a 2D puzzle game that was fun but had a little bit of challenge to it as well. So we ended up coming up with a blob moving through the levels within our game collecting friendly blobs and avoiding obstacles.

    Research, Feedback and Guidance

    Before actually making It's a Blob we knew we needed to do some research. First to see if anyone had made the game before to make sure we didn't break any copyright rights, as well as making sure some of the coding worked as well and finding out how to do some of the code that we needed to game what we wanted within the game as this was our first proper game we made.

    While making It's a Blob we also had some guidance from a lecturer. So we were being pushed a little in the right direction so that we could build the game within the 13 weeks we had. As with the guidance, we found this to be extremely useful when we had a alpha that was able to be played by others without being uploaded to the internet.

    From this we discovered that when people are given freedom to explore but also having something next to them, players would prefer to go ahead and explore. Not only that but from the feedback we were able to change some of the layout of the levels of It's a Blob and make them look better and more interesting as well as forcing the player to take the intended path that we wanted by restricting were they could go and explore.


comments powered by Disqus