Game Career Guide is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Get the latest Education e-news
  • Entering Art School

    - Samuel Crowe

  • School Types

     Here are some schools to choose from:

    • University
    • Private
    • Internet based
    • Atelier

    As you research some of the types of school above, you may notice the differences in what is offered and what is expected of the students.

    University. You will have a major and be required to take "core" classes that are not related to your major. You are expected to graduate with a "well rounded" education with a specific concentration in your major or major and minor. The classes tend to be larger for a University.

    Private. Much like a University but more focused on a single area, such as fine art, digital art or animation. You may be required to take some basic courses but they most often relate to your area of focus in some way. Class sizes are usually small due to either a set limit of students accepted or higher than average tuition fees.

    Internet based. Many internet based programs are offered through schools or by "Atelier" type shops. These vary in size and price as well as area of focus. It's best to ask around or ask for information, such as a copy of the syllabi used and examples of the instructor's and students' work. Classes are sometimes capped at a specific number of students. Keep in mind that if the class is being taught by a working instructor who is either working in the "field" or teaching, the class may be smaller than average.

    Atelier. These schools are more like workshops where you will learn specific styles and techniques. You usually pay per course and they are small in size.

    Degree Types

    • BA (Bachelor of Arts): usually 4 years
    • BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts): usually 4 to 5 years
    • MA (Master of Arts, post graduate degree, requiring BA or BFA): 1 to 2 years
    • MFA (Master of Fine Arts, post graduate degree, requiring BA or BFA): 1 to 2 years
    • AA (Associate of Arts): 2 years (usually not "art" related)
    • AFA (Associate of Fine Arts): 2 years
    • AAT (Associate of Arts in Teaching): 2 years
    • Certificate: Usually awarded for completing a set number of courses or a single course

    Enrollment Status

    Each school has their own requirements for what a full time student is. Please check with your school of choice as to what the requirements are for full time enrollment.

    Each class you take will be associated with a specific amount of "hours" or credits. The total amount of these hours or credits will determine your enrollment status as either fulltime, part time or other.

    • 3-5 hours (other) less than part time
    • 12-14 hours (fulltime)
    • 6-10 hours (part time)

    Your enrollment status affects your financial aid and ultimately how quickly you graduate.

    After that fast run down of some of the types of schools and degrees that are available to you if you wish to pursue art, I'll list in more detail what to look for and some other useful information.


comments powered by Disqus