Get the latest Education e-news

Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156
Default Video Game Director?

What is a Video Game Director exactly? I'm VERY sure I know what it is, however, I want to know more information just in case I'm wrong. What is a Video Game Director? What's his/her job? What does it take to be one? What must you do to obtain this level of job? What requirement of knowledge must you have? How many years in the gaming industry?
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2272

To be honest, I never heard of the term Video Game Director as a role. I have seen the term 'Director' interchanged with 'Producer' and 'Manager' though.

Game Director Job posting
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

You know... I think you're right XD There might not be a term for it that's used commonly. I think the term somewhat exists, but not as a commonly used one. Anyhow, I'm now confused about what classes I should take this Spring.... *Sigh* I can't figure out what I'd need. I'd like to take a management course, however, one's only available at a different campus.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Loicus

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

Some vg developers like to use that title. It's usually the "big bosses" that are already well known in the game industry.
examples: Hideo Kojima and David Cage (heavy rain, fahrenheit)

These two have their own game companies, they have "complete" control over their games... So I'd say it takes a lot of leadership skills (like a producer), a lot of creativity (game design / story) and recognition (or money).
Old 01-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
carolina123

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Exaclty. As the guys have mentioned before you need heavy experience to have a paying position in video game journalism. It's always nice to start with a new site or a site looking for writers to grow.

Most sites will want you to know how to write editorials/opinion, reviews on games, or just post daily news in the gaming industry. I'd be willing to give you a writing position of my site if interested pal.
carolina123 is offline   Reply With Quote