Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
Mariol

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117
Default Developing your portfolio

I'm in the process (like many) of building a games design portfolio. I want to produce portfolio items that will expand on my basic knowledge and improve my skills, but use my time effectively. But how do I choose what to do first? I understand the importance of tailoring a portfolio to specific companies when you apply but if I enjoy making i.e. fantasy themed levels am I limiting myself to applying to any company that doesn't produce fantasy themed games? Should I decide what companies I want to work for then produce work for them? Or should I improve on what I like to do, but by doing this I may limit the target companies on my list?

Obviously at this stage I just want to get into the industry doing any job so limiting the target companies on my list isn't the best idea is it?

What are your approaches when developing your games design portfolio? Are you just producing a range of genres, themes etc Or do you have a structured approach to your portfolio development? And what are your suggestions for people like me.

Junction 5 Studios | Twitter | Werdz Movies FB page
Mariol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

As far as designing levels - companies will want to see that you can use the tools to create functional and fun environments. This can be any environment. Some companies will see past the fact that your work is all fantasy, but developers of the next sports games will have a hard time drawing the connection.

If your goal is to just cross the golden border into the industry, then you should diversify your portfolio. Of course I would probably say this to someone who wasn't trying to get into the industry as well. If you only design for the genre you enjoy, you're putting major blinders up to the rest of the industry. If you get a job in the industry (even that dream job) you will at some point design things you don't particularly enjoy designing. You should get used to it now.

And if you are lucky enough to land the perfect job creating things for a fantasy game, you will be that much more enriched in your experience if you've created for other genres, and thus be able to bring more experience to the table. I've had many designers come to me and tell me how we should incorporate a certain feature found in popular FPS games even though we may be designing a third-person game. And their suggestions, while not always worth developing, will always have you thinking outside the box.

To sum it up: diversify your portfolio for many reasons - not just to get the job.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2272

This article may help: http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...tfolio_is_.php
And these articles will help with the presentation: http://www.spreetree.net/blog/?cat=9

Last edited by yaustar : 05-28-2009 at 02:56 PM.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote