Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Legendbound APC

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default A couple of curious questions for a soon to be freelancer

Hello Community!

Though I have much to learn and much experience to accrue, I have been researching the field of freelance design and have taken quite an interest in it. I was hoping that many of you would be so kind enough to offer some information to a few of my questions, (the more specific the better!)

In terms of setting a price for my work, I have read various articles, and many of them offer the advice that I as the developer should charge what I feel is appropriate, but has excluded how to determine these prices. What do you find is the best method for setting prices on your work or rate? Also, by considering the quality of the piece and eventual progression in the quality of my work, how would I determine when to raise my prices and by how much? In simple terms, I want to price competitively for my work to get work, but have no idea where to set the price for fear that the price is either too high, or that I'm charging too little when I could earn more.

My second question revolves around financial aid and primarily available grants, scholarships, and internships. Specifically are there any major multimedia grants or scholarships I could look into to help me with the purchase of better equipment and acquiring more experience in the field. Also which tournaments, competitions, or conventions are the best to focus on for these types of things? Are there some experiences you would be willing to share?

I've also always been curious about voice over work, and was wondering, where can I look or stand out for such a position, and what is the best method towards acquiring experience and getting that first shot?

I would deeply appreciate any advice you would be willing to offer. Thank you for your time
Legendbound APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Legendbound APC

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

oh and I forgot to mention, I currently live in San Diego California, so any advice for businesses or places in the area would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Freelance for what area of games development?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Legendbound APC

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

My main focus will be animation and character design, but I'm also training in various categories such as level design, programming, and storyboarding
Old 06-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Considering it is a common field, have you looked at someone else's rate.

Generally freelancers are paid by the hour or by the project so effectively you have to work out a metric of how much you should be earning taking into account that you don't get any benefits and it isn't 'steady' work (ie you are not getting a guaranteed income).

As for the latter part of the second question, have you checked on Art focused sites for these (e.g 3DBuzz).
Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Legendbound APC

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

I understand how rates work, and yes I have shopped. What I was asking is how do you as the creator determine what is a fair rate for yourself and your consumer? (e.g) lets say I make a piece of work and charge 10 dollars for that work. How do I determine if it is worth exactly 10, more, or less?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

As the creator, you can't. The piece of work is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. It will come down to negotiation with the client. Work out what your minimum rate is, start off a fair way higher (this will depend on how much your competitors are charging) and negotiate down.

With no previous clients and industry experience, you may need to start your rates lower to gain contracts.

I really wish I can give you a metric but there isn't one that can cater for all the factors involved. How much will the software cost? Where in the country are you working? How big/small is the company? Can I work from home or do I have to work in the office? What will you be responsible for after the contract? Who owns copyright of the work you have done? etc

Edit: I might be getting my wires crossed here. Running off your example, if you make a piece of artwork, how would you determine the price?

Who would own the copyright of that piece after it has been sold?
Is it something that can be sold many times or is it fit for one purpose only?

If you can only sell it once, then you need to work out your hourly rate and the price of the piece should be at least the cost of how long it took.

If you can sell it many times (e.g a game), then you need to forecast how many units you can sell and price in a way that you can recoup the 'cost' of development in a reasonable amount of time (e.g a month).

Last edited by yaustar : 06-17-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Sara jones
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss50

Are you working one some specific part of game development?
Sara jones is offline   Reply With Quote