Old 07-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
cadavre

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Unhappy Beginning

Hello Everybody!

Sorry for my bad English, I didn't write English words for two years.
I am a Hungarian guy, and I decided to become a game designer. Because Hungary is not a professional game maker country, there aren't any game designer school here.
I don't have so much money to travel abroad and learn, so I want to learn the basics at home, before i get enough money to travel.
So I study programming in the College of Nyíregyháza, because i thought the only game maker way the programming.
The education of programming is not the best and not useful. We learn only the basics in every language. I learned assembly, PHP, SQL, delphi, C/C++/C#, postscript, pascal.
Now i think you understand that it's not the best way to become a really good programmer. We have a lot of math subjects too.

You have to know that i have good logic and i'm really good at math, and i like writing stories from star wars to imaginary fantasy worlds.
I tried modeling in 3ds Max from tutorials, but I really don't know how can I become a game designer.
I started to learn the basic of Flash, to make a visible form of my stories, but is it important? Or does it need to make the first steps to become a game designer?

Plz somebody help me. I read a lot of articles here, but most of them says that I have to find a place where i can study game designing, but it's not easy with my circumstances.

And sorry again for my English
cadavre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Generally, the topics you study in school and university arn't that important when it comes to getting into the industry. So long as you have a good well-rounded education, what actually matters the most are the skills and projects you develop during your spare time!

What do you want to be? A designer? A programmer?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
cadavre

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

I don't want to be a programmer. You know I want to show my real fantasy, and not just solving programs, and making codes day to day.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

There are several paths into game design:
1. Get into (developer) QA and get 'promoted' to Games Design.
2. Get into a Level Design/Scripter/Editor role and get 'promoted' to Games Design.
3. Get into a Junior/Graduate Games Designer role.
4. Get into an Artist/Programmer/Other skilled role and move sideways into Games Design.

It is clear that you don't want to do 4, and 1-3 doesn't need any specific degree.

Games companies in Hungary: http://gamedevmap.com/index.php?quer...&Submit=Search

General games career guide: http://gamedeveloper.texterity.com/g...oper/2009fall/

Some careers advice at Skillset: http://www.skillset.org/games/career...cle_4724_1.asp

FAQ: http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #5
cadavre

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thx for the help. Well, I think I try to find a modder team, and making mods.