Old 09-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Hazard117

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13
Default AI Programming

Hello.

I'm a junior in High School. I want to become a game programmer but want to specialize in the craft of making AI. I am aware I'm not ready to start making AI's but just was looking for a little input.

To answer the questions below you may need to know my goals. I want to be a programmer for companies like Bungie, Epic, and other companies more focused in the shooter genre. I also like platforms, RTS, and MMO's,

I have took a few courses on the C# language. These courses were aimed for the basics of the language (to form a strong foundation) and to develop software. I was thinking about doing the same for C++, since this is the most commonly used language for making games. Then I was planning on reading a book (since I heard books are cheaper and get into more detail then courses) on specifically game programming. After that I wanted to get a book on specifically making AI. This brings a few questions...

1.) What book is suggested for a newbie (in this language, even though C# is somewhat similar) to learn C++ (I heard "Thinking in C++" was good, but never hurts to get a second opinion).

2.) What's a good book on making games (overall).

3.) What's a good book to learn how to make AI.

Thanks for your time.
Hazard117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2272

1. Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming is quite good and Thinking in C++ is free anyway and very good for the more advanced parts of C++.

2. There are quite a few. My preference is Game Coding Complete (on its 3rd edition now) and C++ for Games Programmers (I think it is on its 2nd edition). Although not strictly game related, I would also recommend reading Effective C++ and Coding Complete

3. http://aigamedev.com/ will be a good starting point. AI isn't my area so I can't suggest an actual book.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Oathbreaker

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss16

Well, its my first day at high school... I think (we use differant names in the UK), And i asked my ICT teacher. She knew a lot about C++, and im going to (hopefully) Get extra tuition at a programming club. My point is, Try asking an ICT techer that knows a lot about programming.
}

(this will happen a lot)

Wanting to learn C++ or whatever suits me.
Oathbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Hazard117

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

OK Thank you, you two.
Hazard117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
rkurata

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24

Thanks for the ai game link info that was helpful.