Get the latest Education e-news

Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
Malik

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default New Guy Intro

Hello, my name is Malik and I am from Detroit Michigan. I am a professional artist/ painter (wall art!). I have a BS in fine art, and have been a gamer all my life. In the last 2 years I have been interested in digital art/ video game creation. I taught myself 3ds Max from a book, and now I am ready to take it to a new level. I will be asking advice in the advice section, so if anyone wants to aid me, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you

-Malik
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Malik

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

OK now that I did an intro...here are my questions if anyone wants to help.

1) I want to take more classes because I am a self learned hack from books and a few online tuts. I have got reasonably good at modelling but I know i have tons to learn. I have seen classes on ED2GO. (com) for like $1695 for 300 hrs of training and you get a certificate. I have also seen some $45 per month training (no cert). Does anyone have any advice on the credibility of these options?

2)JOB MARKET...what is the job market for a 3d modeller? Who would be a likely employer..is there a hotbed location for this?

-Malik
Old 01-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Subvert

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
(wall art!)

Welcome. I'm new, too.
Subvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
DockRock

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss39

The 2 most common positions that people get hired for are 3d Artists and Programmers. 60-70% of all video game teams consist of these 2 valuable resources. I work at a company that has almost 100 employees and the largest majority of the team consist of programmers and 3d artists. Of course there are animators and tech artists and concept artists and production assistants and of course HR or whatever, but everyone on the art team, even the concept artists, have a mid to expert level understanding of 3d Modeling. I would say that for most on-site concept artists, knowing some form of a 3d program is a must in today's industry!

Major city's are always "Hot Beds" for game studios, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Austin Texas, Seattle/Redmond Washington, even Salt Lake City has Disney Interactive studios and an EA offshoot.

Check out this site it has links and info for mostly every studio in the world: http://www.gamedevmap.com/

I also recommend that you start visiting sites like Gameartisans.org, Cgsociety.org, CGtalk.com, Polycount.com even DeviantArt.com are great sites to get feedback ask questions and post your work for others to see.

This is just my 2 cents I hope it helps.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Malik

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thank you for the info DockRock. It has been helpfull.