Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
kotchomet

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default I guess it's harder to get into the industry when you don't have much exposure. :|

Ack, double post. Can a mod remove it?

---

First post. Go me.

I've been trying for a while to take a few cracks at making games, or parts of games. I figure if I can at least design a working idea for a game, it'd be decent experience. The problem is, as much as I hate to admit it, I don't have much experience with games, either making them or playing them. I don't have a lot of time in my day (I'm apparently relatively busy for a high schooler; go figure), and games don't get a lot of priority. I don't have a lot of money, either; the most recent system I own is a DS. The fact that I don't have a lot of people to talk to who know about or care about games, not to mention game development.

So anyway. Is it as much harder as it seems to be able to work on a project, much less work on getting into the industry, if you don't play a lot of games in the first place?

Last edited by kotchomet : 01-21-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Double post. sorry!
kotchomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1780

Hello Kotch, you wrote:
1. I figure if I can at least design a working idea for a game,
2. it'd be decent experience.
3. Is it as much harder as it seems to be able to work on a project, much less work on getting into the industry, if you don't play a lot of games in the first place?

1. Not sure what you mean by "design a working idea" -- can you explain and define that?
2. Not "experience" -- "practice."
3. Yes. Nobody goes into the game industry unless he's an avid gamer. Why would you even want to get involved in making games if you don't play them?

You should read my game career advice articles on my website (see my signature, click the link, explore and read).

By the way, there's nothing wrong with the DS. It's my favorite game system.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
ryan.george

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss130

Also, if there are people struggling to get noticed with degrees and industry experience you better bet it's going to be tough to get noticed.

You're in high school. Prep for college. If you want to make games now is the best time for you to do your "research" aka PLAY GAMES.

ryan.george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Jtspring

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

If being in the game industry is something that you are really passionate about then you need to schedule yourself time to play games. Don't forget board games, ccg games, tabletop dice games, these all count. And can be way more social, and possibly more acceptable to parental units, then computer games.

Find a local game design community. For example I live in Boston and recently started going to Boston Indies (a local meet up of independent game designer). Also conventions, like PAX and GDC are great things to attend.

It's going to be very difficult to get into dentistry if you don't practice dentistry. Likewise its going to be very difficult to get into the game industry if you don't play games.
Jtspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Jtspring

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Can I ask a couple questions? First, why are you worried about breaking into the industry right out of high school? Second, what attracts your interest to the game industry? What are you passionate about?
Jtspring is offline   Reply With Quote