Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
Grataquinti
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default What would be a good programming language for a newbie to learn?

As a complete newbie to computer programming, what would be a good starting language to learn with the intention to getting a job when (or should that be 'if'?) I'm good enough?
Grataquinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1894

http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app...ion=rules&f=31

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Minalien

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I would start with C++ or Objective-C. C++ is the most likely that you will be using in a professional development setting and while it can take a fair amount of time and effort to get used to, it's definitely an excellent language to learn. To make it a touch more fun, you may want to combine your learning with one of the easier-to-use game libraries, such as Irrlicht (I'd recommend sticking to the 2D portions of the engine until you've got some experience under your belt).

I wouldn't worry too much about developing something that will be seen and played by your friends at first, because you're not going to be able to make the most amazingly optimized game on earth. There will be problems as you go through, but take them as learning experiences and push forward - programming can be fun if you've got the mind for it.
Minalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

I would definitely not start with with C++ or Objective-C. Although oft used in professional game development, those languages are very unfriendly to beginners.

Rather, I suggest you look into something like Python or Javascript. Prolog is an interesting starting point as well; I've had professors tell me using it teaches you how to think pragmatically in a way that's very hard to learn if you already have programming experience in other languages. Whether this is actually true is up for debate.

Starting with Python may be a bit like learning the Force from a Sith master, though. The dark side is easier, more seductive; it might be hard to move to the "good" languages like C and C++ afterwards…
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
ChristianModas

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10
Smile

I would recommend learning C++ first. I know everyone has their view, but personally I don't think one is any harder to learn than the other. They are all just gone about in different ways. C++ is the industry standard AND has features that are common in many different languages. I do admit it can take more code to make something cool, but in the end it really IS worth it.

With the power of the internet and google, learning without going to school is 100% possible. The best way to start out though is to understand how the computer actually works: the different kinds of memory, how it stores data, different datatypes. Binary is very good to know.

Heres a site I found. It seems to skim over the basics... google can most definetely help clarify
http://www.crews.org/curriculum/ex/c.../howcomput.htm

Anyways about learning C++, you can google for tutorials. The site I started out with was www.cprogramming.com . very helpful information, but you will probably want to find much more. Buying a book is also a great idea (you guys have books-a-million?).

Even if you do not get into more advanced topics such as game programming with C++, I would still recommend learning it FIRST to make sure you get a good feel for programming.

If you still need information on getting started, feel free to message me!
ChristianModas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

I always start my students off with C then progress to C++. After that we move into Java then start using things like SDL for GUI based programming

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
Rybo5000

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss46

Strongly consider learning C, it's a hard language but if you learn it you can easily move on to C++, Java, C# and more without much trouble since all those languages are based on C.

Some good books on C

Last edited by Rybo5000 : 06-28-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Rybo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
robertpatinson
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

As per my opinion I will suggest you to learn C++. But you'll probably get more and better results just hitting Google.

Last edited by robertpatinson : 07-06-2011 at 08:58 PM.
robertpatinson is offline   Reply With Quote