Old 01-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Omarb

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default 3D Animation Demo Reel Critique

Hi everybody!

First off let me say thanks for any and all help/critiques I receive in this thread. I've been working on my 3D animation demo reel for several months now, trying to shore things up on it. It has gone through a few rounds of revisions based on critiques already and I was hoping I could get some useful feedback here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=Y8EiKrWkulA

I'm preparing, in a month or so, to make a bit of a trek from Florida to Seattle because frankly.. there are no character animation jobs in Florida and I'm trying to get a good enough demo reel together to break into the game and/or animation industry (a tale as old as time I'm sure).
Omarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270
Default Re: 3D Animation Demo Reel Critique

It was okay, nothing ground breaking as all the animations were barely moving. Having a couple more dynamic scenes with more complex animations would be good to make it stand out a bit more. Not sure if it was on your website but I would have like to see the rigs as well.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Omarb

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thanks for the critique yaustar, I can certainly agree that some more complex animations would make it stand out more. After I finished it at it's current state I went ahead and storyboarded out a dynamic scene, so when I get some time to work on that I certainly will. As far as the rigs go, all of them are credited in the ending of the reel and all of them are free-to-use rigs, some more popular than others.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
nightblue

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss19

I agree that there aren't enough full-body animations in the reel. The strongest clip is the robot at the end. The heavy gunner has potential, but you can squash and stretch him a lot more to emphasize how heavy his gun is.

I hear my animator friends stress over "weight" over and over again. Here's a demoreel they think demonstrates the feel of gravity very well: http://www.tjphan.com/html/animation.html

In their words, things like "key pose" and "pacing" both help tremendously with weight.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Omarb

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thanks for the advice and the link! My next big piece for my reel will be a complete full-body, and much more flashy animation. I agree that it is definitely lacking. I've been extremely busy lately with some side projects but will hopefully get it finished soon.