Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Art
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 AM   #1
Ciel

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default do i need cert/diploma/degree to get me hire?

i've choose a game art training centre, it does not give cert/diploma/degree...
but the training centre will give the student a recommendation letter, that will straight away bring students to work in the affiliated company...

the course duration is 2years:
1st year: training and learning (character design and animation)
2nd year: pratical in those affiliated company (with salary)

but i think the recommendation letter is only qualify in those few affiliated company with the training centre...

so, what i'm afraid is... after i finish my course in the training centre, i can only work in those affiliated company...

what i wanna ask is:
In the art field of game industry, do i really need diploma/degree to get me hire? or without the degree, the portfolio that i drew used to interview is more important?
Ciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

It is possible to get a job without a degree but the lack of one will severely limit your chances of even getting an interview.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Winning Guy

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

Most game art programs I've heard of have been rip offs. A program that claims to teach you how to do all aspects of game art AND animation in a year is not giving you a good enough education. Animation alone is a lot more than just learning the software, and would be over a year just by itself.
Winning Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Ciel

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default ....

hey... thanks for all the advices...
what is 'freelance artist'....?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Ciel

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
Most game art programs I've heard of have been rip offs. A program that claims to teach you how to do all aspects of game art AND animation in a year is not giving you a good enough education. Animation alone is a lot more than just learning the software, and would be over a year just by itself.
actually the schools will only focus on 'character design'... how to create and draw a character, how to color the character, and how to make it 3D....
Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Winning Guy

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

A freelance artist is basically an independent contractor. He is his own business. He isn't technically employed by any company. Instead, he negotiates working on a specific assignment for pay. When the assignment is over he looks for a new assignment somewhere.
Winning Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
ShadoFrost

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Hmmm I get a little skeptical when I hear "center".
What and where is this center if you don't mind me asking?

I'm just a student but here's my two and a half cents...

As someone said before, I think a lack of degree would seriouslly impede your chances. A degree to many businesses is sort of proof that you took action and completed an education and that you went through approved training in a sense. Of course you can make it with out one as my friend will be trying that route in graphic design. However I think you would need a very strong portfolio and passion to stand out. If you are going that route I would suggest you make sure you have a strong foundation in traditional media and fine arts as well.

A lot of business screen through resumes (so with out a portfolio) so even with a strong portfolio it will be assumingly tough. You would have to do a lot of networking and build a strong resume based on companies you've worked for.

Mohales Deis
ShadoFrost is offline   Reply With Quote