mheyman

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12
Default Re: Student Testimonial: Westwood College Online

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-QSJ...eature=related

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

But seriously, when reading the headline on the front page I expected to actually read someones opinion about the school. Upon reading it all I got as a description of projects and quiz times and such. In fact, the pros and cons weren't even weighed until the last paragraph:

Quote:
As with any school, Westwood Online is not without its faults. Tuition is quite high, admissions can be a bit of a hassle, and financial aid renewal is always a chore. But as a person who has been taught the meaning and value of hard work, perseverance, and passion through this program, I feel confident that I have made the right choice for me.
All in all the author really didn't assess anything. It was more of just a description of her coursework and when shes having quizzes. This entire post may be unnecessary but I have to ask, if this isn't meant as an advertisement for the school, and is supposed to be a student's assessment of the school, where is the assessment?

I don't care what classes you have, I want to know how they are. I dunno, I have no idea why this was put on the website, maybe I'm just missing something.
mheyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

You're right in that this testimonial is more of a description than an assessment, but I think that's more my fault (I wrote the "teaser" on the homepage) than the author's.

I'll update that part now so it is more clear to other readers what the article contains.

Also, the piece is not at all promotional. It is written without any influence from the institution itself. GameCareerGuide.com has run a few testimonials before (six, I believe), but not in several months.

The idea is for students to give a personal account of what it's like at their school so that other readers, particularly those who are looking to apply to colleges, can get a different perspective on what the schools offer.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
mheyman

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Just out of curiosity, how would one submit a game school related testimonial to you? Or how would one submit any type of article?
mheyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Click on my username and send me a private message if you ever want to submit a propsal.

I'm especiclly interestested in student research works that could be turned into more widely read articles, as well as postmortems of finished games.

Unsolicited ideas welcomed!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:31 AM   #5
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

Yes, the article is more of a description than an opinion, but it's informative in nature because to me, it exists to help broaden the choices of students who are attempting to choose a game-related school.

It certainly wasn't written 'under the table' or as an endorsement for the school in any way. I have my gripes with the school, but I suppose I'm of the mind to let people choose for themselves, if it would possibly be right for them.
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote