Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2008, 07:20 AM   #11
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

I must say I realy realy loved Idea X, sounds very original and alot of fun.
regarding idea Y - it also sounds good, but (I hope you don't mind that I say this) unless you realy have an interesting twist, the idea that the characater is realy crazy and its all in her/his head has been done quite a lot (starting with a 1930's german movie that I forgot its name) although I agree that in fight club it was presnted in a very unique way.

A theme that I realy love that appears mostly in Japanese games (I don't think I ever saw it in a western game) is the relativity of evil - there is no such thing as pure evil or pure good, one person's idea of good is another person's evil, this somehow relates to my general philosophy in life and maybe could be an interesting angle for your X idea?
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

In fact I do believe I have a twist, but that is for me to know... and you to someday find out! Twists are hard, but in all reality for Idea Y it really works when you don't realize that all along, you are the bad guy when you've been playing the game from his point of view and seeing him doing the right thing. Also, when you find out (at the end) that he and the murderer are one and the same, one of my ideas for replayability is to unlock the murderer missions so you play back through the game, but it keeps track of who you killed and when, so you have time limits based on the way you played through the game the first time. Maybe he's not crazy... and I am?

Also with Idea X it's my most coveted and cherished idea (mostly because it's the only one that could create a new genre, or at least a new way to play RPGs) and I really want to have replayablity as a huge focus of a lot of my games. And not just tossing in a multiplayer, but actually a single player reason to replay the game.

This is hard, but I'm working on different ways people can express themselves through the characters in a story, which I think is a new and fresh focus for a game concept. But I may be a weeeee bit biased.

Anyway just divulging more, soon I'll just post the script and storyboards for all to see, hahaha (maybe, but I think NOT!). If only I knew how to program... damn you code for being so boring.

Sincerely,
Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:11 AM   #13
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Quote:
If only I knew how to program... damn you code for being so boring.
I beg to defer, but I'm a programmer, so I'm not that objective...
But it seems your ideas will take a whole team of professionals to create.

You keep bringing up replayablity which I think is another interesting issue - as someone who hardly ever played a game the second time (I'm just that kind of person, I hardly ever read a book the second time as well, I would rather spend my time on something new), I prefer games that are long and interesting the first time through, I hate reading in walk throughs that in order to unlock some things in the game you have to play it a second (or somtimes even more) time. I remember it was a common theme in the Silent Hill games. on the other hand I think it's intereting that the player gets a different ending depending on his actions during the game, I guess that if the second time is different enough from the first time the game could still hold an interest (I guess that the main issue here is that most of the times the second time is almost exactly like the first time, with only a few things different).

(hmmm... at this point I wonder how much are we still on the original thread subject? )
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #14
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

I never play through RPGs a second time, but I will play through a game a second time if I really enjoyed it the first time.
I usually play through racing games at least 1 1/2 times, and I've played through OOT and Prince of Persia: SOT upwards of five times. Older games, such as Sonic 2 and Extreme G, I play completely through ever time I play them, so I've beaten them 50+ times.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

The point being, if people weren't expensive, and I had money to burn. I'd make A1 games. Yeah. That's where I was going... still very much on point. I swear.

Alright so I got caught up, but really my main complaint was that games are getting shorter, and better looking when I still very much enjoy Diablo 2 over Oblivion, Final Fantasy 6 over Final Fantasy 10, and will actually replay Doom over Army of Two. Kind of sad when I think about it, perhaps it's partly nostalgia that brings me back to these games, or perhaps they were more focused back then on content (Although Oblivion does have content, I believe it is the smallest of its series and FF10 has a story, but it gets to be too much). I mean, at the end of the day, it really is preference. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:35 AM   #16
DTR

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

Replayability should not be achieved by ever growing amounts of hand crafted content...

Quests become predictable and boring after just one or two passes.

We need to generate the stuff.
Dwarf Fortress for example shows us a way things should be handled.

In the future, I wouldn't mind seeing something along these lines:

Believable speech synthesizer combined with AI smart enough to generate textual response based on his current understanding of the world and speech recognized input from player speaking to his microphone.

Games are inherently interactive. Movies are not.
Games are marketed as being "movielike experiences".
I say that is bad.

Nobody cares to take a risk with advanced non graphics related concepts as long as people are willing to pay for stuff we are handed today. No publisher will fund a project that has not been proven. And I doubt many teams feel confident about this whole "believable world" subject.
Oblivions Radiant AI was hyped to be a groundbreaking innovation for the whole gaming world. Apparently people working at Bethesda were unable to make it work consistently enough to leave it intact in the retail version. What we got instead was mockery compared to their E3 demo with burning dogs and problem solving Npc's.

What should we be reaching for then?
One word: Holodeck.
Without the deck of course....

Last edited by DTR : 06-12-2008 at 02:44 AM.
DTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #17
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

That is the problem with procedurally generated AI. It gets taken out of games all the time because it is nearly impossible to test, and when testing is attempted, it requires obscene amounts of man-hours. As of right now, procedurally generated AI is not the solution to big budgeted games.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote