Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
teenup_3D

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Getting a job as a 3d modeller

Please let me how to get a job as a 3d modeller. I have recently completed my B.tech Computer science and engg. from a college in INDIA. Also I am pursuing a professional diploma course in visual effects and 3d animation.
Request you to kindly let me know about the 3d modelling jobs, about its pay, and which companies in India offer these. Preferable companies in Pune, other cities will also do.
I have knowlwdge of Photoshop, 3Ds MAx modelling and texturing...

Thanks
teenup_3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Geffex

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

You need to decide what part of games, if games is what you want to do at all, you want to be in for modeling. Smaller companies have generic 3D Modelers but usually it is broken up into Environment Modelers and Character Modelers. Sometimes you will see 3D Modeler or 3D Artist which falls into doing weapons or specific assets that the Environment team or Character team needs among other things.

To find companies in your area with job listings, I recommend searching http://www.gamedevmap.com. You can find all the companies (its updated frequently) in your area or in the world for that matter. Just type in India in the search or just click the city you would like to be located in.

As for salary, this varies greatly depending on company size, location, your qualifications, benefits, personal value and education, negotiation, funding etc. There are so many ways to make a higher salary but from my research the US National Average pay for entry level Artists for games is about $49,000 USD as of 2008. Many things can shift a few thousand your way or against you so make sure you are the best candidate possible for your level and make sure you have great negotiation skills. Remember, it costs a company more money searching for candidates then it does paying the right candidate $5,000 - $8,000 more than average. Do some research on negotiation tips and always let a company offer you first.
Geffex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2261

Unfortunately, India is more of an outsourcing country then developer orientated although there are a few companies there. It be worth joining one of the outsourcing companies just to get some industry experience.

I have no idea about the average pay in India is as it is most likely be different to the UK and US.

To get a job, you will need a portfolio that potential employers can view which such as the above poster has: http://rylandsart.com/studio.html

Other then that, you need a good interview manner.

Another company search site: http://www.gameindustrymap.com/map.php

Last edited by yaustar : 06-16-2008 at 01:52 PM.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
teenup_3D

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thanks a lot for your Reply...

At present I am doing internship in a software development industry. But I always had keen interest in games development(the designing and modelling part). As I mentioned I have completed my B.tech computer science and engg. And am doin an animaton course too. I wanted to ask you will there be companies which will hire me as a trainee and then absorb me as there regular employees?
Also I wanted to ask that is this the right time for me to go and apply for the jobs or should I be complete my animation course first and resign myself from the internship period in the present software industry. I am pretty confused with this.

THANKS..
teenup_3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2261

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenup_3D View Post
I wanted to ask you will there be companies which will hire me as a trainee and then absorb me as there regular employees?
Maybe, maybe not. I don't have a crystal ball, I don't know you nor how good you are and I don't have any connections to the companies in India.

Quote:
Also I wanted to ask that is this the right time for me to go and apply for the jobs or should I be complete my animation course first and resign myself from the internship period in the present software industry. I am pretty confused with this.
Definitely complete your internship. I can't see any logical reason to quit.

Edit: Hang on, are you doing an Animation course AND an internship at the same time? If so, why?

Last edited by yaustar : 06-17-2008 at 04:38 AM.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote