Get the latest Education e-news

Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
jcbarker86

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Smile Programming + Art = Game?

Okay, so here's where I stand. I'm 21 and have wanted to make games for about five years but have only recently started doing so. I always thought there wasn't a future in it for an east coast kid and that I didn't have what it takes but now I'm going for it with all my heart and don't care what happens. I've been learning C++ and Blender, because they're both free and I'm poor. The thing I was wondering was how to put the programming together with the art to make a game. Like, I can make a model and give it a walk cycle and build worlds and stuff but how do I actually program that in a game. Like, how do you fuse art with the programming to make the actual game. Any refrences or sites would be great. Thanks.
jcbarker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Jarerex

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

Well, if you are already learning blender then i would suggest dropping the C++ for now and instead working on learning some Python. You could then use Blenders built-in (if poorly documented) game engine to achieve your goals, since it is completely scripted in Python.
Jarerex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2254

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagNasty View Post
If you have been studying c++ you notice that there is a lot to be added to make a full 3D game. My suggestion would be to start our with OGRE. it has a rather simple interface and lots of help available. The documentation is superb as well. The best part is, it's free. It is a graphical engine for your models. It's not the best out there but it is a great place to start. It also allows for the easy addition of other engines such as physics, video, AI, ect...

www(dot)ogre3d(dot)org
Posted from other thread.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2254

To OP: Do you want to:
1) Be an artist?
2) Be a programmer?
3) Just make a game?

There is no point doing all 3 if you only really want to do one of them.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
jcbarker86

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Well, I want to be an artist and a programmer. I have no real experience making a game so I'm not definitly sure what I want to do as a career. I figure a good way is to make a game myself. I can make the art. I'm learning to program.....but all the programming I've done has taught me how make a word game or a blackjack game. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction or any direction of actual art and programming assembly into a game.

Thanks

Oh, sorry for cross posting. I figured the subject applied to all groups.
jcbarker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2254

Walk before you can run. There is a reason why programming books and tutorials start with commandline programs and not anything with art. To teach you the language and programming concepts that you need to know.

If you REALLY want to program, then as HagNasty said, using an external library like Ogre3D is your best bet.

If you want to get your art into a game, I recommend using a 3D games maker like program such as 3D Game Studio. Less programming (if any) involved and much quicker to get something up and running.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

You can even start simpler than that and make a 2D game using your 3D models in Blender to make sprites. Then you can use those sprites in free programs like RPG Maker 2003 and Game Maker. These have extremely accessible design tools but also allow you to get under the hood and code custom systems or anything you want for your game. Honestly I recommend starting here before you tackle 3D.

If you're dead-set on 3D, do it first by making a mod. What games do you like to play? What type of game do you want to make? You can pick up Unreal Tournament for about $50 and that comes with the Unreal Editor which up until recently was a very common engine for the industry. It's a great one to learn, even still, and for about $10 more you can buy the collector's edition which comes with excellent tutorials to get you started. Other engines ensconced in games include the Electron Engine (NWN2) and the Source Engine (Half Life).

Walk before you can run, but crawl before you can walk. I know it's somewhat frustrating, but you don't want to start something that's too difficult for you to finish.
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Elkestra

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Given the OP's knowledge I can understand where most of these replies are coming from, but I noticed one suggesting Python, so maybe that opens the floor to my suggestion.

Have a look at Microsoft's XNA Game Studio 2.0 - Its free, to develop and experiment with, uses C# which should be easy to pick up if you already know C++, and with Creators' Club membership, you can even export your game directly onto your XBox 360 if you have one (its written to target Windows and XBox 360).

By the way, before anyone comments, I've been developing using C++ for years, and it took a long time for me to take the chance and try out C#, but now I actually find it hard to go back.

Yours,

Ann-Marie
"Elkestra"
Elkestra is offline   Reply With Quote