Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
Sabretou

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Okay, no car damage but what about if we have cones smashing into cars? Would the boss be cool with no apparent damage on the cars or would it look too artificial to ship?
Sabretou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

I have to say, this is easiest challenge yet. I'm gonna have to do this one as soon as possible, after missing the last one due to procrastination.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:34 AM   #13
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Alright Ladies and Gents, Critique time! I had a bit of difficulty coming up with something I truly felt was original, given everything I had to work with. I hope someone enjoys these! Anyway let me know what you all think and also let me know if my tactic of more ideas is a bad thing. I'm starting to wonder if I should elaborate more on ideas instead of giving a summary of multiple. I know I can elaborate on any one of the ideas I come up with, but at first glance they may not seem as well thought out as one idea at 500 words. Let me know!

Mini Game 1 – The Gauntlet…

Just because you don’t have the rights for damage, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be able to have fun! This is a single player Mini Game in which you start on the OPPOSITE side of the start line facing the rest of the cars. The point is to come in first by getting the best lap times, but they can hinder you by hitting you on their way around. This only requires your car being able to be spun around, the lap markers and the obvious timer.

Mini Game 2 – Frictionless Bumper Cars!

In this game you are racing on a near frictionless racing surface (Equivalent to Slightly Greased Glass) and around the track are Cones to which you want to bump other cars into so they lose points. However if you happen to touch a cone, you lose a point whether or not it was of your own driving or another car. Same goes for them. So for this mini game you need to take care with your handling, however have enough control and speed to actually bump another car into the cones. Highest score wins! Good for Single or Multiplayer. (Good Luck!)

Mini Game 3 – Interplanetary Track of Mystery!

This track has taken it’s inspiration from the ancient game, Excitebike. For this track, it will come to your knowledge of the track and your reflexes! Especially used to train your reflexes as well as your over all skill. The track is a regular track from the game, just with certain spots where the friction has changed! For example, on one side of a portion of track it would be something that dramatically slows your car down and the other side would be plain road. Also further along would be “drift” spots around corners which would have less friction for more speed, but less control. The spots would be similar in color, just with arrows painted on the road texture to show which direction the friction is going to be helping or hindering you. Fastest Lap is key here! Good for single or multiplayer.

Mini Game 4 – Dodge Cone

This is a track that has cones in the best spots to cut down on your lap time. Your objective? Get out of the habit of cutting that corner so hard, or cut it even harder! Staying on the road is key, but not necessary. Drifts are your new best friend. Avoid the cones at all costs, if you hit a cone it adds 10 seconds for each cone hit. Hit multiple in a row, and watch your time fly! Harder the difficulty, the more cones (Ex. Drift between cones on a corner, or even dodge 3 well placed cones on a straight away. Can also be varied for another mini game to be the opposite and train you to hit the cones so you get in the habit of cutting the corners and teach you the best route through a track!

Hope I inspire/help someone or at very least, get some constructive feedback! Talk to you all soon and good luck to everyone in the challenge!

Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
Adam Moore

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9
Default Minigames

Here are a couple of ideas that I just came up with. Bonus points to anyone can design a working Extreme Parallel Parking!

Slalom
It's like skiing, but with a car. The ground is slick as snow, and the course is downhill. This prevents the player from turning around or playing the level cautiously. It's a fast-paced mini-game.

Along the course are pairs of cones with lap markers between the two cones. The goal is to go between all the cones on the way down the hill.

The level ends when the player reaches the lap marker at the end of the course. The player is rewarded for the amount of lap markers hit on the way down the hill and the overall time it takes them to reach the bottom.

They are penalized for every cone knocked over and every pair of cones missed.

This mini-game assumes that there already is a level with a considerable downhill slope.

2-player Destruction Race
This short 2-player mini-game can be thrown into any level of the game. No lap markers needed for this minigame. There are 101 (or some other high odd number) cones distributed throughout a level. Whomever knocks over the most cones in 2 minutes wins. If they tie, it's a draw. If there isn't a mechanism for setting a time limit in the game, then the first player to knock over more than 50% of the cones wins.

Last edited by Adam Moore : 04-25-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Revised 2nd game
Adam Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

I was waiting for someone to post their idea, I hate to be first
I think that wriitng down a few ideas is the point of this challange, but I might be wrong.
I liked the first and third one best, liked the idea of using different types of roads to control your speed.

This is what I managed to come up with, it still requires some polishing befor I submit it, but it's ready for your comments:

"Musical Cones" – The number of cars on the track is the number of cones + 1, you have to drive you car around the track while the music plays in the background, once it stops all cars need to hit a cone, last car without a cone is out (next round remove a cone from the track) – assuming the NPC (Non Player Cars) AI supports this. If not this Minnie game will only be supported in online/multiplayer mode. (Use scoring system to see which car hit which cone). Have several musical tracks available for this game to make it more enjoyable.

"Follow the leader" – you have to copy the actions of a second NPC car, and drop only the cones it's dropping. (If possible – change the sound the cones make when you hit them to be a lovely "ding", just to add a nice musical aspect to this game). You have to hold on as many laps as you can, using the laps marker to count laps and the scoring system to reduce or add points when knocking down cones (if you hit a cone the other car hit you get a point, if you hit a cone it didn’t you lose a point). The car will increase its speed every lap making the game harder; you finish it when you have 0 points.

"Concussion" – something is wrong with the driver and he doesn’t feel too well (In my original idea he was drunk, and then I thought it wasn't too educational so I changed it concussion), the aim is to finish all the laps as fast as possible with the most cones still standing. The problem is that the wheel is reverted (left is right and right is left – doing this shouldn't be a problem programatically), and not all the cones are really there (draw a cone on the road, but don't use its physics). So sometimes a row of cones is blocking your way and you need to guess which ones you can pass through. You can also use the road surface traction system to make the car feel more "sluggish" and slow (as if the driver is driving through rubber or with a flat tire). Add a music track to accompany this sensation (something slow and muffled).

Wario ware style mini games – meaning very short and kind of silly games:
- "Park" – park your car between the cones in the time limit (around 5 seconds), without hitting the cones, it can be either parallel parking or reverse parking
- "Chicken" – avoid colliding into the car that comes to you in high speed in the last minute, if the player collides into the car the screen will go black with a sound of a crush (to avoid having to show the damage)
- "get back on the road" – your car is parked on the side of the road, you need to get back on it while cars are speeding by (if the player crushed into a car, again, the screen will go black with the sound of breaks and collision)
- "bowling" – speed your car into a group of cones (in the formation of bowling pins) dropping as much as you can
- "Brake" – the car in front of you will brake unexpectedly, you need to stop the car without colliding into it (again, using the screen going black trick)
- "Curling" – you know, the winter game where the player pushes this weird round thing and it has to reach the furthest point on the ice. So here to cars break at the same point and the car that stops in the furthest point wins. start with an icy road surface but change it to other things, like cheese, plastic, jelly etc.
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #16
Whispers_loudly

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Tracks

We know about the limitations of the cars, but what about the tracks? Are we working with an open-world racer like Burnout: Paradise and Need For Speed: Most Wanted or is this a track based game like Mario Kart or Gran Turismo. If it is a track based game, can we design a track that isn't necessarily lap based?

Last edited by Whispers_loudly : 04-25-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Whispers_loudly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #17
Vang.Kou

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadr View Post
Good question, would like to have that elaborated too.

I was also curious to find out what "he cc'ed" means (English is not my native tongue), but after a quick google for "cc'ed" I figured it out...
cc'ed is basically a short way of stating he also sent a copy of the mail with the same content to everyone esle. Basically he sent you a letter asking for you to finish these mini-games but sent the copy of the request showing it was for you to everyone esle so they know that your the one who suppose to finish the work.

Cc is shorthand for Carbon copy. If you add a recipient's name to this box in an e-mail message, a copy of the message is sent to that recipient, and the recipient's name is visible to other recipients of the message.

Bcc
Bcc is shorthand for Blind carbon copy. If you add a recipient's name to this box in a mail message, a copy of the message is sent to that recipient, and the recipient's name is not visible to other recipients of the message. If the Bcc box isn't visible when you create a new message, you can add it.
Vang.Kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
Vang.Kou

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispers_loudly View Post
We know about the limitations of the cars, but what about the tracks? Are we working with an open-world racer like Burnout: Paradice and Need For Speed: Most Wanted or is this a track based game like Mario Kart or Gran Turismo. If it is a track based game, can we design a track that isn't necessarily lap based?
This is what I gather from reading the challenge post

What you have:

the cars
lap markers
a timer- (which can be tied to the lap markers)
cones- (scoring system which can be tied to the cones)
road surface traction

what you dont have:

-nobody bothered to render the underside of the cars, so they can never leave the ground. (IE: car cant fly!)

-your team didn't get the rights to show damage on the cars, so no destruction derby for you.

Answer to your question: I guess a NO on the NFS and burnout unless you can figure out how to limit where people can go but then it would basically be a race track in a street setting.
Vang.Kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
Adam Moore

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispers_loudly View Post
We know about the limitations of the cars, but what about the tracks? Are we working with an open-world racer like Burnout: Paradice and Need For Speed: Most Wanted or is this a track based game like Mario Kart or Gran Turismo. If it is a track based game, can we design a track that isn't necessarily lap based?
Given that the game is a month from release and the team is in crunch, there probably won't be any time to design and implement a new track.

It'd make the challenge far easier if we could.
Adam Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #20
Whispers_loudly

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Moore View Post
Given that the game is a month from release and the team is in crunch, there probably won't be any time to design and implement a new track.

It'd make the challenge far easier if we could.
Good point, so we definitally need to know what type of racer we are working with, and if we can base a mini-game level off an already existing track. Maybe we have a open-world to work with and don't have to worry about tracks at all.
Whispers_loudly is offline   Reply With Quote