Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Game Studies
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
syrous137

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss29

for your first one i was thinking of not actually running around in the city. but you could create a city and arena and own them with your guild. second.. i really like your crowd reaction towards after the fight.. which riots can outbreak.. etc.. 3rd of course you need a leader board each arena will have an arena champion. my only thing is how would everyone love to control your gladiator in the arena.
syrous137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrous137 View Post
my only thing is how would everyone love to control your gladiator in the arena.
I'm kind of confused what you're asking here, are you asking how the player would control their gladiator in the arena?
EvilLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #13
syrous137

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss29

yes like the fighting style..
Old 05-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #14
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

It really depends on what you think you can do and what would work best. Gladiators were not just fighters that slashed at each other, but there were different types with different abilities (ie the Retiarius was infamous for throwing weighted nets on their opponents) so you want a system that would allow the players to perform basic attacks and well as some specialized ones.

Since you're in an arena, players probably aren't going to have much patience for a turn based system, though with interesting animations you could still make it work and it would probably be easiest to program.
So if you can, make it a real time based system. If you do so, however, you will need to know every inch of the arena, and make it dumbass proof. (Ex: what happens if the player tries to enter the crowd? Attack a wall? Run into a wall? Butt slam their opponent? Can they throw dirt at their opponents?) You should also think whether matches have a time limit, just in case no one decides to move/it'll take too long for the players to kill each other for whatever reason.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
syrous137

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss29

i have all that figured out its more like the movement and the attacks.. ok is it going to be press a button he does a swing or block .. or its it like tekken to do moves.. or like fight night... or just something really unique...
Old 05-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Ok, so I looked up the games you mentioned.

The Tekken style of fighting is cool. However, Tekken was made for a style of fighting where legs are used just as much as arms and was intuitive because its a style of fighting that is still popular and recognizable today. In a gladiatorial arena, the main attacks weren't with the legs, however the legs were by no means outlawed (basically, as long as you won and stayed within the arena, anything goes).
It might be interesting to have a Tekken style for minor attacks (kicks, punches, body slams, etc) but the button system might work better for the main attacks (block, thrust, etc). Then again, that might be too complicated, and you want to keep it simple. Perhaps button attacks might be better, since if its multiplayer the fun of the game comes from kicking your friend's butt, not on how revolutionizing the gameplay is. Then again, if you can think of something that will work better, go ahead.

Fight Night's use of body stance and facial expression to convey low HP is interesting, however if you're using real gladiators that might be hard (especially for the murmillo and secutor, whose helmets almost completely hide their faces). It might be better to have a combination of both, the Fight Night system for realism effect plus a health meter for player convenience. If doing both is too complicated, stick with the health meter.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #17
wobalisk

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Just as a suggestion for the crowd reaction, I would have it set up so that you have attributes like strength and speed that you keep no matter what and then in each arena you have a fan ranking, during the fight whoever has the lowest fan rating will make mistakes more often as they are not confident etc. Also it would be good to have atleast a smallish town where you can buy items and heal.
wobalisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #18
syrous137

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss29

how is everyone interested in the weapons?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

*bump* for the forum
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #20
yaustar
Administrator