manman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default RPG Game

Hello!
Everyone I new here to the site
but can someone help me with my problem?

I just start to make a new game

Do you think I should start with the board dsesign character design or just start wriying the storyline

Plus do anyone know any other feature you think i could add in the game to make my rpg game better
manman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

Er...

I'd love to help you, but you're going to need to be more specific than this. Also I don't normally like to nag like this, but a spell/grammar check will help your ideas come across better.
  • What kind of game is this? You say board design so I assume a board game, but... RPG? So... it's a tabletop game?
  • What features are you planning on implementing?
  • Why are you making this? Is it for school, for a portfolio, or just for fun?

Answer those and I'll provide what insight I can.
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
manman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

sorry my spell is very bad u probably see that alot

1) the board or the world that the character will be playing on not like a board game (like monoploy)

2) multiplayer or some online feature
Old 04-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
Originally Posted by manman View Post
Hello!
Everyone I new here to the site
but can someone help me with my problem?

I just start to make a new game

Do you think I should start with the board dsesign character design or just start wriying the storyline

Plus do anyone know any other feature you think i could add in the game to make my rpg game better
First off, define the essence/purpose of your game. Aside from being fun, what is the game's heart? What message/concept/story do you want to express? Why are you making it a game and not a painting, video clip, short story etc? The heart can be as simple as solving puzzles (like Tetris), turning an aspect of reality some people find boring into a game (like Monopoly) or be some majorly deep concept (like Bioshock).

For an rpg board game, my guess would be that you should work with the idea of some type of journey somehow, as it gives you a lot of creative freedom to invent a bunch of whacky places, creatures, characters, etc often found in rpgs. However, successful and meaningful journeys often involve some type of evolution, usually within the character. Look to various mythologies such as the Odyssey, Gilgamesh, Sigurd, etc for inspiration if you need to.

Then figure out how you're going to interpret that kind of evolution into the type of interactive medium that the game will be. Remember, you're making a game, not writing a book, you don't have the absolute power over the player's experience that an author does with their readers--even they don't have that much control. So think of your targeted demographic and what they are capable to relating to/get out of a game.

Next, figure out what resources you have available to work with. There's no point in spending hours planning some epic game only to realize you don't have the means to make it.

After that, figure out which (character bio/design, storyline, game board) is closest to the core/essence of the game. Which of those are you trying to convey, and which of those are just "tools" you are using to express what you want to convey?

Keep it focused. That is key. Otherwise it'll just end up a mess of ideas and wasted time. I'm not a game industry professional, but I did manage to create a board game that was a hit with my classmates (even the ones I didn't really talk to much). So yeah.
EvilLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
manman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

When you say resource
do you mean resources to make the or resource to make a demo
Old 04-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
When you say resource
do you mean resources to make the or resource to make a demo
Depends what you want to do with it. Do you want to a)market it yourself, b)license it to a company/developer, c)present it to a publisher/someone who can give you the resources to make it d)have something tangible to keep in your portfolio to show schools/potential employers?

From what I've read around on this site and others, option b is highly unlikely especially for an rpg, since developers are busy enough as is. Unless someone you know gives you a phone number/email of a person to contact--which is an advantage of networking. Even then, chances are slim.

Your first big resource to consider, no matter if you're making the complete game or just a demo, is time. When I made my board game, I based it off the myth of Gilgamesh, so I already had a story to start with. It was homemade, so my resources were basically paints, foam core, photoshop, sticky notes, modeling clay, etc. Even then, it took me a week and three days, and by that I mean getting up at 7 am and working until 1-2:30 am nonstop with my longest breaks being 2 minutes to grab a bowl of cheerios or use the bathroom. That doesn't count the extra hours play testing against myself and revising the rules to make it flow better, or testing it with other people. And that's just a simple board game.

If you choose option a, you will have to make sure you are able to complete the game and mass produce it. This is much easier for computer games than board games, since board games are harder to make copies of. Still, you have to complete the game, make sure it works, make sure it's fun, and dedicate the time and energy to get people you don't know to buy/download/play it. Considering the millions of games out there, that's also pretty difficult, unless your goal is to just sell a few copies at a fair or convention or something. Even then, do you have the time, money, and method of travel to get to those events?

If you choose option c, you will probably only need a demo. However, the more of the game you have complete, the better your chances. Also you will need to be prepared to follow through with it, or you'll be in trouble. Yet like option b, chances of success this way are very slim.

Option d is probably the best way to go, since you only have to make sure you have the resources to make it impressive and there's no major downside if you are not able to complete everything. If you only end up completing the script, it'll still benefit you especially if you want to be a game writer. If you only end up up completing the artwork, it'll still benefit you if you want to be a game artist. If you manage to complete a demo, it'll give you major points. But you still need to make sure you have the time and whatever else is required to make the demo. No matter what you have, it'll still have to be good, so you want to make sure you have the time and materials (be it the correct software or whatnot) to produce something amazing.
EvilLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
vincecody

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

so manman , do you think RPG Game have good market?
vincecody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:02 AM   #8
toyoka

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss193

It depends on what route you take into creating your game. If its fantasy-oriented, it would probably sell more than if it was a modern day RPG (ie. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.). F/T(First/Third)PS games are also good, but again, depends on how you take your approach on them. A game like Bioshock provides a twisting storyline and incredibly stable game-play and guess what, it turned out to be game of the year

But ofcourse, new Game Designers/Programmers/What ever your job is, will likely not see the kind of appraising that Bioshock had. Good luck
toyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
manman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincecody View Post
so manman , do you think RPG Game have good market?
yeah i think is a good market
Old 05-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
vincecody

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
yeah i think is a good market
why not web game??