Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #21
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

You mean this crazy one? (Thanks to Wikipedia for this!)

Painkiller — The painkiller is a mechanized close combat weapon. The primary fire causes the end of the weapon to open up into a rapidly-rotating fan of blades. The secondary fire ejects the blades from the weapon and can damage enemies and also attach to inanimate objects. A damaging beam of energy then projects from the player to the point of impact, provided the player aims the weapon towards the disengaged blades. Pressing the secondary fire button again will return the blades to the weapon. The combination fire is performed by holding down the primary fire, then hitting the secondary fire, causing the rotating blades to be fired from the weapon. It is also used to 'painkiller jump', which involves standing on a piece of debris and using secondary fire on it in order to launch yourself into the air. Also, hitting a defeated enemy multiple times with the Painkiller's secondary fire will cause them to drop trinkets, which can be picked up to add to your total gold score for that level. "Gibbing" the enemy while they are suspended in mid-air, either by utilizing the Painkiller weapon's primary mode or one of the other weapons, will drop a valuable gold ring, also adding to the player's gold score. This has given rise to the practice known as "Monster Juggling" using the Painkiller secondary mode repeatedly to keep the corpse suspended in mid air and drop gold trinkets, then finishing it off with a short burst in the primary mode to reduce it to gibs and drop a golden ring, all of which must be accomplished before the corpse dissolves into nothingness a few seconds after its death. This is also a potent weapon in deathmatch and other multiplayer games, as it allows you to sweep in for the quick kill and confuse opponents.

Yeah, that sounds insane.
Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #22
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

First off leave out anything that follows this definition. (Dictionary.com ftw!)

machine gun
n. A gun that fires rapidly and repeatedly.

So I suppose even my Tesla Chain would be kind of out of the running. *Sigh* Ahh well. Anyway last few critiques before I jump into dream land.

toyoka

P.A.D. (Portable Annihilation Device): First off well documented and nicely worded. Sometimes smaller ideas lack the elaboration on much needed descriptions. (I definitely fall victim to such things!) Only question is how do you know where it will land? I think the Call of Duty 4 line of trajectory would be a nice attribute to add. But my only complaint is it sounds like a grenade launcher, the only difference being the longer you hold the ammo in the gun, the more unstable it becomes (playing hot potato with your own ammo, hee hee). Just my .02 cents!

jshockley

IVP5-SD (Ion Vibration Pistol ver.5 Silenced): I really like the idea! Not a bad premise and definitely a nifty sounding concept weapon. 20 Meters might be a bit far, but who's counting! Also, it's attached to the next in the chamber? That might not work, unless your design had them shoot at the same time... technicalities aside, I really think it'd be neat to try out.

Exaggeration17A

Atomic Handcannon: It definitely still sounds like a one handed grenade launcher, but I do like the idea of coupling the effect. That makes yours stand out a bit more where as toyoka's is a BFG, yours can be used for deforming terrain. I wish more games (hopefully Battlefield: Bad Company will bring it back) had the deformable terrain and ability for mass destruction. Oh yeah and a 30 meter range might be huge. Be careful when dealing with sizes. Especially if you end up on a close quarters map! I try to deal with %s for damage and even sometimes for size. An even better measurement for size is average character models (Avg Char Size) because then you know the maximum you can get in the blast. Think about fitting people in a 30 meter diameter (or radius... *shudder*). It gets fun quick!

Quote:
The best visual reference for a similar weapon would be Earthworm Jim's blaster, minus the antenna thing.
Oh man, now I want a new Earthworm Jim, now. Thanks. (Although I think one is rumored to be in the making.)

Again, just my .02 cents!
Tim Edwards

Last edited by TimEdwards : 05-04-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: "definitely, definitely, definitely..."
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #23
Exaggeration17A

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEdwards View Post
Oh yeah and a 30 meter range might be huge. Be careful when dealing with sizes. Especially if you end up on a close quarters map!
30 meters is supposed to be huge... relatively small for a nuclear blast, of course, but it's something that could easily be tweaked if there aren't enough areas in the game big enough to accomodate that. Also, as far as I'm concerned, if someone is in single-player mode and they decide to use the Atomic Handcannon in a room that's not big enough to contain it... they deserve the resulting consequences. This is why I also designed the gun as something that would vaporize entire hallways if the player didn't use it responsibly. It's kind of like the Thunderbolt in Quake-- which kills its user if it's fired underwater-- taken to the extreme.

Maybe it's a bit clichι, or too much like the statement Metal Gear Solid was trying to make, but I see nuclear weapons in first-person shooters as an opportunity to expose people to the full extent of what these things are capable of. They're weapons that, if used recklessly, are bad for everyone. If you're in a close quarters multiplayer map, for example, the only thing it might bring to the table is mutually assured destruction. I would seriously want players to pick it up and think, "am I sure I want to use this?"

Anyway, that's terribly morbid, isn't it? I'll lighten the mood by sharing another deadly weapon with you; one that has actually piqued the interest of the modern military!

...Don't ask me how this actually lightens the mood.

WeDSE, aka "Sonic Boomer"

Type - Cannon
Damage - By range, continuous
Clip Size - N/A (Battery life limits use)
Bullet Type - Beam
Bullet Speed - 340.29 m/s
Accuracy - Perfect
Rate of Fire - Constant
Trajectory - Straight
Reload - N/A (Battery must be recharged)

The Weaponized Directional Sonic Emitter requires two hands to operate, and emits a column of sound one meter in diameter that travels in a straight path until interrupted. Although the user hears only a faint, high-pitched hum, anyone caught within the column of sound hears an overpowering electronic buzz. At a range of 5 meters or less, the sound is louder than 250 decibels and will damage internal organs and other soft tissue, eventually causing death (possible damage: 10% every 0.5 seconds). At a range of <20m, the sound is at least 200 db, causing damage at a slower rate (possible damage: 5% every 0.5 seconds). At a range of <60m, the sound is at least 150 db, which affects hearing but does not cause damage. The weapon can still be heard at ranges beyond 60 meters if its path is uninterrupted, but no ill effects result.

Anyone exposed a sound blast for too long will also go deaf, meaning all of the game's audio-- including voice chat-- will be turned off for an affected player or enemy until respawned. Exposure for deafness is one second at the 5m range, two seconds at the 20m range and ten seconds at the 60m range.
Exaggeration17A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:06 AM   #24
toyoka

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss193

Quote:
toyoka

P.A.D. (Portable Annihilation Device): First off well documented and nicely worded. Sometimes smaller ideas lack the elaboration on much needed descriptions. (I definately fall victim to such things!) Only question is how do you know where it will land? I think the Call of Duty 4 line of trajectory would be a nice attribute to add. But my only complaint is it sounds like a grenade launcher, the only difference being the longer you hold the ammo in the gun, the more unstable it becomes (playing hot potato with your own ammo, hee hee). Just my .02 cents!
Heh, thanks for the critique I was thinking the gun might go something along the lines where the player places a circle (this might have to be in third-person overhead view [which, by the way.. might ruin the fun of aiming the gun, but anyway..]), in the targeted area for the bullet to land onto. Il think of some more ideas when I have some free time
toyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #25
apatriarca

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss42

This is one of the ideas I have (I'm still working to the others...)

Globular Thunder

Background This gun started as a toy. The basic idea was to be able to control the movement of a ball floating in the air. But the controller was too powerful and the toy was retired by the market because of the injury some child provoked to others with his aid. When military see this game they realized that they can substitute the ball with something more dangerous and use it as a weapon. The ball in the gun is a sphere of energy of 10cm of radius that can pass through objects and have only effect on organic tissue. The ball burn every organic tissue it came in contact with. The ball also have effect on enemy at a distance of 1m or less from it but the damage decrease with the inverse of the distance. The ball do damage only when his distance from the player is greater than 1m (in this way it can't do damage to the user).

Damage if the ball hit a vital part of the body (head and chess) it kill istantly, if it hit a different part of the body (for example a leg) it kill a normal soldier in 2-3s of contact. The AOE effect only gives minor wounds.

Max distance
The ball can be moved everywhere in a radius of 30m from the player.

Use
When the player move the controller the ball follow it as if there isn't any friction and the speed depends on the speed of the player and distance from the controller. When the player press the FIRE button the ball move away from the controller with a velocity that decrease with the distance, when nothing is pressed the ball returns in the direction of the player with a velocity that depends on distance (faster when near the player, faster when is far away). With the second fire button the player can speed up the returns of the ball to the player.

P.S. Sorry for my english, I'm italian...
apatriarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #26
dreamshade

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss87

Quote:
It sounds like you contridict yourself by saying it activates if after it hits a target and then right clicking.
I actually meant that second note to say, "Maybe instead of automatic detonation, the player has to activate it manually."

Quote:
I do have to ask, it seems these two weapons have after effects. What was your reasoning with going with that? I'm just curious! Also, if someone has no armor, what then? Is it just a regular pistol? Also is the damage only EMP based? If we based it off Halo for example a Brute with armor gone would be immune?
I went with after effects just trying to think of, what can I do to alter the area of effect?

Since the game is going for a Teen rating, I kinda assumed that everyone has armor, so that there's less visible blood. I guess I didn't take into account whether or not the game has aliens or other single-player mode baddies that could still be harmed.

Quote:
My only suggestion, you need to explain how they know 20 feet is that far away! Like some kind of aiming reticule or a hovering beacon of light or something
<3 Well, if we're all wearing Halo-type armor, then it's not inconceivable that your HUD would be able to put a 20-ft beacon in your view so that you can tell what you're looking at.

Semi Automatic Unicycle: If you would just break that down into, a weapon that isn't fired manually but rather is fired by the movements of the player, then that would certainly be a different idea.

WeDSE, aka "Sonic Boomer": Hmm, if you were to hit another player with this weapon in deathmatch, then would the player only hear white noise for a moment? Messing with a player's senses, even a secondary one like hearing, might be an interesting added effect.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #27
jshockley

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss49

Quote:

jshockley

IVP5-SD (Ion Vibration Pistol ver.5 Silenced): I really like the idea! Not a bad premise and definately a nifty sounding concept weapon. 20 Meters might be a bit far, but who's counting! Also, it's attached to the next in the chamber? That might not work, unless your design had them shoot at the same time... technicalities aside, I really think it'd be neat to try out.

Tim Edwards
Ya That was one of the things I was really thinking about and cutting down, was the range of the gun; I settled on twenty since that seems like it'd be enough to cross a street (anti-vehicle). but thanks on the compliment and critique, let me jump in a critique some others
jshockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #28
jshockley

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss49

Dreamshade

The dart gun is pretty cool. I would say that you should make it a silenced weapon that people don't know hits them so that you can wait til they go talk to their friends, and trigger it for the group

I like the disruptor pistol, but it just seems like you would rarely get your money's worth when you use it, as enemies are rarely bunched up behind each other, but I'm sure you could tweak the cone

The BPC just kinda seems like a regular bazooka/Rocket launcher/ stinger to me
maybe i'm missing something

The hydrogen magnet seems neat, it would really ride on it's visuals I think, and maybe change the color intensity of the laser at each range just so you can adjust on the fly

Evilllama

The cupid gun seems fun, as it reminds me of being charmed in old tactics RPGs (I hated that), Only question is how long does the effect last?

One thing to say about the unicycle; that better be the strongest weapon in the game. It reminds me of some conversations a friend and I had where in our game we would have the "Heart Shield& Flower sword" be the strongest weapon in the game, but make it male only. Then we'd have something similar for females that was extremely masculine maybe like a dirty power drill, and a football helmet (that was harder to figure out). good times

Toyoka

I like the mechanic for the gun as it causes you to be discretionary with it, question though how long does the gas stay in effect

Exagerration17A

I actually saw a nazi prototype weapon of something like that on the history channel, theirs was extremely large though and of course never went into service, but yah it's cool maybe if it could destroy walls and barriers and such, give it explosion properties, but in the cone AOE and that would really give the player a sense of power.

apatriarca

I think you could make it better by making the ball bounce rapidly off walls, but if you really want it to go through walls make it so the alt fire makes it "phase shift". Just cuz right now it just seems like you shoot and it keeps going til someone gets hit which is like a regular gun to me.

Don't be mad at me.......
Old 05-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #29
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

OK, so after going through several ideas, ditching them all (FPS is realy not my forte, being a girl and all ) I came up with this thing, I'm not realy good with measuring distances, so I hope the measurements make sense:

I got the inspiration for this idea from Farscape's Dargo's Qualta blade (you can read about it here http://farscape.wikia.com/wiki/Qualta_Blade). The main idea is to have a set of short range weapons that can transform into long range weapons by a simple click of a button, this will help avoid the annoying delay when switching from long to short range weapons, and I think has the potential to look really cool. Each weapon has separate attributes for the long and for the short range mode. The long range weapons are charged by absorbing energy from enemies when using the short range mode (for example – attacking an enemy with the sword, will absorb its life energy that later will be used to shoot bolts).
These are the basic weapon types offered, as the player progresses in the game more variations will be available like magical effects and different types of bolts (fire, ice etc.):
- Short/long sword that turns into a rifle that shoots laser bolts.
Sword attributes:
o Base damage – 6 (short)/8 (long)
o Weight – 500 grams (approx. 1 lb)
o Time to switch to long range and back – 1 sec.

Rifle attributes:
o Base damage – 10 (short)/12 (long)
o Range – 10 meters(approx 32 ft)
o Max number of bolts – 50 (can be upgraded)
o Rate of fire – 3 bps (bolts per second)
o Charge rate – 1 hit point absorbed grants 2 bolts
- Dagger that turns into a pistol that shoots laser bolts, two daggers/pistols can be used simultaneously for a greater affect.
Dagger attributes:
o Base damage – 4
o Weight – 100 grams (approx. 0.2 lb)
o Time to switch to long range and back – 0.5 sec.

Pistol attributes:
o Base damage – 8
o Range – 5 meters(approx 16 ft)
o Max number of bolts – 10 (can be upgraded)
o Rate of fire – 2 bps (bolts per second)
o Charge rate – 1 hit point absorbed grants 1 bolt
- Mace that turns into a dart gun that shoots small energy spikes at a rapid pace. The spikes can be targeted on one target (coming out of the center of the mace) or on several enemies, using the ball shape of the mace to spread the spikes over a larger area (the spikes will spread in a semi circle formation toward the targets).
Mace attributes:
o Base damage – 7
o Weight – 300 grams (approx. 0.6 lb)
o Time to switch to long range and back – 0.5 sec.

Dart gun attributes:
o Base damage – 5
o Range – 8 meters (approx 26 ft) distance, 3 meters (approx. 10 ft) wide
o Max number of bolts – 100 (can be upgraded)
o Rate of fire – 6 bps (bolts per second)
o Charge rate – 1 hit point absorbed grants 5 bolts
- A glove that can shoot bolts to a relatively short distance. Good for characters that specialize in hand to hand combat or when a weapon needs to be concealed (looks like a regular glove to the naked eye). Two gloves can be used simultaneously.
Glove attributes:
o Base damage – 0 (has no affect on its own)
o Weight – nearly 0
o Time to switch to long range and back – 0.1 sec.

Bolts shooter attributes:
o Base damage – 3
o Range – 2 meters (approx 6.5 ft)
o Max number of bolts – 10 (can be upgraded)
o Rate of fire – 1 bps (bolts per second)
o Charge rate – 1 hit point absorbed grants 1 bolt
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #30
jshockley

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss49

O.K. TG1

I think your idea is awesome, I'm envisioning it in my mind right now about it working in a game. I guess the toughness here would be in the way that each "mode" works. You don't want to overpower one gun because it can be used in any situation. it reminds me of the mmo hybrid article I read on gamasutra

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...h_hybrids_.php

You'd have to make sure that the gun wasn't as good as the rest of the "pure" but not so horrible people won't want to use it. Another thing I would say is that some games have a melee attack, so that may be something you couldn't use as an alternate mode; also alot of games have an alternate fire mode, so why would you make them switch modes by pressing alt fire when they could just press the alt fire. In your defense you could say that each mode is there so that a perceptive opponent could use the visual cue of changing modes to adjust their tactics. That would allow players to play mind games with each other and outwit their opponents to victory. I remember playing star wars battlefront (the first one) sometimes I would use the destroyer droid (droideka). The droid has that bubble shield from the movies that blocks everything, but it has a bar the decreases over time. when the bar is empty you become super squishy, but with it up you were invincible. When you had your shield up everyone would just take cover, and you moved real slow so there wasn't much you could do. anyways in one-on-ones I would drop my shield to lure guys out of cover (they were thinking my charge was done) then pop it back up and let loose. if the other guy was fast enough at reacting he could get back in cover, and this would happen over and over til someone screwed up. I think your idea has the potential to encourage this kind of gameplay; I would say just to think more about the "modes" and you got the foundation for awesome gameplay.