Get the latest Education e-news
 

Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Game Studies
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
TG1
Super Moderator
 
TG1's Avatar

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271
Location: New York
Default Austin GDC - game career seminar

Hey all,

I'm starting to think about attending the game career seminar at the Austin GDC this september.
I have a few questions on the subject:
1. Is anyone else here planing to attend?
2. Is it worth registering for the entire event instead of just the seminar? (It costs about 3 times more)
3. Since this would be my first conference (if I decide to go) is there anything I should do to prepare besides printing a few coppies of my resume?
4. (This one is becuase I live outside of the USA and am a bit geographically challenged) how far Austin is from Plano? (I want to go and visit SMU if I'm already there)
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Location: New York
Default

1. I'll be there!

2. Whether you attend the whole GDC or just the seminar really depends on your level of knowledge. The GDC has a lot of higher-level talks that relate to what goes on right in the development studio; if you're not in the industry already, these talks with be enlightening, but not necessarily applicable yet to what you're doing.

3. Bring resumes, yes, and also business cards. Card-swapping is a big activity at conferences. Bring something to take notes on, either a notebook computer or a paper notebook.

4. Plano is more than 200 miles away, so it would be a full day trip to drive there or take a short flight. I just visited The Guildhall yesterday, actually, and it is not easily accessed by public transportation. You'll need a car to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
Hey all,

I'm starting to think about attending the game career seminar at the Austin GDC this september.
I have a few questions on the subject:
1. Is anyone else here planing to attend?
2. Is it worth registering for the entire event instead of just the seminar? (It costs about 3 times more)
3. Since this would be my first conference (if I decide to go) is there anything I should do to prepare besides printing a few coppies of my resume?
4. (This one is becuase I live outside of the USA and am a bit geographically challenged) how far Austin is from Plano? (I want to go and visit SMU if I'm already there)
__________________
-jillduffy
jillduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
Gshonk
Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Default

I can't make it this year But like Jill said bring lots of business cards. And the career seminar rocks.
__________________
Grant Shonkwiler()
"I would love to fix the world if someone would just give me the source code"
Website Industry blog LinkedIn
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
CKeene
Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80
Default

I'm signed up as a volunteer, so I will be there.
__________________
Courtney Keene
Game Writer
Portfolio and Blog
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Gshonk
Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKeene View Post
I'm signed up as a volunteer, so I will be there.
WOO CAs for the win!!!
__________________
Grant Shonkwiler()
"I would love to fix the world if someone would just give me the source code"
Website Industry blog LinkedIn
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
Duckman
Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss84
Location: Tuckahoe, NY
Default

ok what about a person like myself that has little game development experience? I only have a year of software development and with some modding on the side so I don't believe I will be looking for a job there, purely going for information. I have business cards from my current job and my general resume stating all my previous experience, which isn't much (Software Developer now and Internship at Brookhaven National Laboratory 2 summers ago) Anyways, anyone have any advice for me on whether I should go or not and for just the seminar or for the whole thing? Thanks!
__________________
Mike M
Facebook Profile LinkedIn Profile
Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
Adrir
Administrator
 
Adrir's Avatar

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464
Location: London, UK
Default

I wish I could go, but I'm struggling to pay myself through uni over here in the UK, nevermind take a flight to the USA lol!
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Location: New York
Default

I would definitely recommend you personally NOT attend the full GDC. It sounds like you don't yet have enough exposure to the industry to get your money's worth from the high-level talks.

You WOULD benefit from the Career Seminar. It will give you some tips about how to beef up your resume, how to make the most of sending out your resume, and things of that nature.

If you're in the Austin area or within a few hours drive, I'd say definitely go. If you have to fly, then it's probably a matter of whether you can afford the trip.

Also, it takes place on a Wednesday, so if you are from out of town, you might need to take off work and grab a hotel for a night, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
ok what about a person like myself that has little game development experience? I only have a year of software development and with some modding on the side so I don't believe I will be looking for a job there, purely going for information. I have business cards from my current job and my general resume stating all my previous experience, which isn't much (Software Developer now and Internship at Brookhaven National Laboratory 2 summers ago) Anyways, anyone have any advice for me on whether I should go or not and for just the seminar or for the whole thing? Thanks!
__________________
-jillduffy
jillduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
Duckman
Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss84
Location: Tuckahoe, NY
Default

I am certainly from out of town, I am from the outskirts of New York City, which provides the problem of jobs near by as well as attending the GDCs. I would need to take a look at flight options and prices and such. I would probably go for the day of and the day after I would fly back. Honestly, if it is just for knowledge, then I am not sure I would want to spend that kind of money. I think I can just talk to people on forums and such, but I really wanted to try and build some contacts and it seems difficult this way only. Anyways thanks for your help Jill.
__________________
Mike M
Facebook Profile LinkedIn Profile
Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #10
TG1
Super Moderator
 
TG1's Avatar

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271
Location: New York
Default

how fast do places for these things fill up? (or in other words - how long do I have to decide if I'm coming or not?).

regarding the rest of the convention - I'm a programmer in IT (been one for over 10 years), and I did see some technical sessions that look interesting (and I might even understand what they're talking about). Actually I'm really interested in the social networking track, since my BA is in social sciences and I'm going to take a course on the socialization of the internet next semester (and probably do one of my seminar papers on the subject). I'm not sure what will I get out of it professionaly, but since I'll be coming all the way from Israel, I might as well stay the whole 3 days, right?
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:28 AM.






UBM Tech