Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
p0gie

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Online courses.. overwhelmed...

Hi there.. looking for a little bit of help and a point in the right direction.

I moved to the US from the UK just over a year ago and just started working for a company who is happy to pay for me to do a degree of my choice. Naturally I would like to take advantage of this and have decided to go for a game programming degree and because of my work hours would like to study online.

Now I hit the problem area.... I have asked for information from a few universities, namely UAT, Devry, American Sentinel and Westwood and have recieved the barrage of what are essentially sales calls. I've tried searching online and aside from a lot of bad comments on Westwood I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

Does anyone else study game programming online at any of the places above or know anything about them? Is there anywhere else I should look at?

Just overwhelmed with the general barrage of information and the process being so different here than the UK so any pointers or help would be hugely appreciated.
p0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1460

I would reccomend reading a student testimonial, but from what I've read elsewhere, traditional degrees are far superior.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
AsherCrestfalen

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0gie View Post
Hi there.. looking for a little bit of help and a point in the right direction.

I moved to the US from the UK just over a year ago and just started working for a company who is happy to pay for me to do a degree of my choice. Naturally I would like to take advantage of this and have decided to go for a game programming degree and because of my work hours would like to study online.

Now I hit the problem area.... I have asked for information from a few universities, namely UAT, Devry, American Sentinel and Westwood and have recieved the barrage of what are essentially sales calls. I've tried searching online and aside from a lot of bad comments on Westwood I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

Does anyone else study game programming online at any of the places above or know anything about them? Is there anywhere else I should look at?

Just overwhelmed with the general barrage of information and the process being so different here than the UK so any pointers or help would be hugely appreciated.
I'm an online student at Devry's gsp program. Please allow me to pass my personal thoughts on to you. I'm in my sophomore year and am still just starting to wet my feet on actual coding in the school, I've only finished one class in c++ programming.

DeVry's support for it's students is exceptional. Anytime I've needed academic help, financial aid queries, extra tutoring, that help has been there for me 24/7. The professors for the most part as there's always a bad apple in every bushel are very good, well versed in what they do and I have as of yet to find a professor there that has less than two degrees in the related fields they teach or haven't worked for a fortune 500 company.

Classroom setup is simple, the semesters are split into two eight week sessions, usually you have two classes per session and there are three semesters per year with two two week breaks, one at christmas and the other around the fourth of july. If you are able to push through without having to retake any classes, you can graduate with a full bachelors degree in two years and eight months.

The classes have forums (you are required to have posted in each at least once a day on monday through wednesday, anything after that is optional). Each week has a preassigned roster, with labs, reading assignments (via ebooks with the exception of a few classes that you will receive notification of by email prior to the start of class) which usually encompass two to three chapters per class per week. Potentially two lectures (one typed out, the other live via webmeeting) dependent upon the class the webmeeting may not be available. Ilabs are your chance for practical education with software available from the central hub such as maya, 3d studio max, gamemaker, visio, the latest version of office, Torgue game engine, torque game builder, visual studio, and more. Quizzes are weekly and are usually comprised of multiple choice, essay, and practical application.

Devry's graduate placement is good for life, and each student is assigned a personal career placement adviser. DeVry is always setting up new connections within the industry of which I have a comprehensive listing with whom they've made agreements to place graduates with. I hope this helps you as the guide may be located here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/45499271...ified=d4f9928f

It's about a hundred forty plus pages of everything from first party developers to military contractors to aerospace to cell phone games. I hope this answers your queries. Thank you for your time.
AsherCrestfalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsherCrestfalen View Post
I'm an online student at Devry's gsp program. Please allow me to pass my personal thoughts on to you. I'm in my sophomore year and am still just starting to wet my feet on actual coding in the school, I've only finished one class in c++ programming.
A sophomore is someone in the second year of education right? Why have you only started programming now? What did you do in the first twenty four weeks of teaching?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
AsherCrestfalen

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

Because there's two courses that are required for students in their first semester, to familiarize them with the workings of devry, I took an entry level class for computer programming (focused primarily on theory in program flow with heavy exercises in vizio) (1st 8 weeks).

My second 8 weeks was with entry level gsp 110 (video game history) as well as a course in an overview on psychology.

My third eight weeks was in computer applications for business with lab (an overview on microsoft office, excel, word, and powerpoint) followed with a course that was required for me because of my low scores on the entrance exam in algebra.

Fourth eight weeks was implemented in another psych class (marriage and family) as well as my first class cis 170 which is the first entrance into programming in c++. I stunk this time around so I'm currently studying myself with "c++ without fear" by Brian Overland and I'm retaking that class the second session of this semester.

This session of this semester I'm taking gsp 130 which is System architecture and assembler with lab.

DeVry's online program isn't centered around just programming. Here's the full list of what's required for this degree on the computing end.
http://www.devryonline.net/gsp/Paren...sory/index.htm

In addition to the computing programs listed above, we're also required to have the following:
15 credits from communications skills (read english, and speech)
9 credits from humanities classes (arts and culture)
9 credits from social sciences (psychology, politics, and sociology)
5 credits from personal development ( an introduction to devry, as well as resume building and interviewing)
19 credits in mathematics (algebra, physics, and calculus)

So, totaling everything up, it comes to about 128 credits with a well rounded education. Hope that answers your question.
AsherCrestfalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
p0gie

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thanks for the help. Its appreciated. I'm leaning towards Devry now but has anyone heard anything about UAT or American Sentinel? I've already ruled out Westwood.
p0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
chrono1699

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

I just finished systems architecture and assembler. Assembler was fairly easy to learn, but the theories we discussed about and the text we read was very sophisticated in terms of understanding. That class didn't have much reading, but overall was good. My teacher was the program director of DeVry's GSP program. I don't want to give up hopes for anyone, but teacher's for game development is that scarce. Still, all the teachers are proficient in the subjects they teach. The class I'm taking currently is LAW310(essentially is about fundamentals of law) and GSP240 (practical game design with lab). Next class I'll be taking physics and OOP.

DeVry has a lot of technical reading....a lot...as well as researching on your own (if you truly want to understand the objective of that week). So, if you can sit down in front of a computer for 5-6 hours straight every day then I would recommend DeVry. It's preferable to take a traditional school with a traditional degree, like computer science or computer engineering, as many of the forum members say as well as a featured article that was on this website. However, for those who can't spare time due to family matters or work then this may be your place. Other than that, good luck on your future endeavour.
chrono1699 is offline   Reply With Quote