Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Avellana

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default Full Sail, ITT Tech, IADT, or Community College?

Ok well i'm new here and have been doing research on video game design for along time. I was thinking about becoming an animator, character artist, designer, or something along those lines, lol. But to start out I need school right!

So I live in Oviedo, Florida and want to find out how to do this. I was looking at Full Sail University but that seems WAY too expensive and I was looking at reviews and some people said that the hours are horrible. I was just wondering if the best thing for me would to go to Full Sail, ITT Tech, or IADT? Is there another option for me to go to a community college and transfer to a school but what do I major in there? Or should I get financial aid and go to something likie IADT?

Last edited by Avellana : 10-23-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Avellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avellana View Post
I was thinking about becoming an animator, character artist, designer, or something along those lines, lol.
Welcome to GameCareerGuide.com!

That is a pretty general list of roles you have there. Being a designer is different from being an artist. What do you want to do specifically? Do you know yourself what you want to do?

Firstly, I would reccomend reading the free edition of Game Career Guide Magazine, paying particular attention to the section on the disciplines on page 47-48. Do you want to be an artist or a designer?

Your goal will shape your method of achieving it. For example, there is no point doing a Computer Science degree if you don't want to be a programmer.

Quote:
I was looking at Full Sail University but that seems WAY too expensive and I was looking at reviews and some people said that the hours are horrible.
As a former student who made it into the industry, gShonk is proberbly the guy to ask to about Full Sail. However, as far as I am aware, the art and design programmes are quite new. Furthermore, I think it's reputation is garnered from it's successful programming course.

Which course are you interested in specifically?

Quote:
I was just wondering if the best thing for me would to go to Full Sail, ITT Tech, or IADT? Is there another option for me to go to a community college and transfer to a school but what do I major in there?
I think this is something you will need to research more deeply. As for your major, that depends entirely on what you want to do. Check out the Digital Counselor if you're looking for more options.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Sorry I missed this post. About Full Sail I know they recently started a Game Art Degree, but I know nothing about that and since it is new they haven't produced any people in the industry yet.

Now for the computer animation course I have known quite a few people who have gone through this but all of them have gotten jobs outside of the game industry so I really don't know for sure how it is for the game industry.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
ndimucci

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Where did I read that an HR rep said whenever he sees a resumes with ITT Tech (or was it Devry, or both?) on them he immediately throws them in the garbage?

Sorry if I insult any students of the latter. Anyways, if I HAD to choose between those schools, it'd probably be Full Sails due to being somewhat of a better choice.

And if you are worried about the hours of Full Sails, well all I can say is, no glory without sacrifice. Cliche, I know.

Last edited by ndimucci : 10-24-2008 at 07:39 AM.
ndimucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndimucci View Post
Where did I read that an HR rep said whenever he sees a resumes with ITT Tech (or was it Devry, or both?) on them he immediately throws them in the garbage?
Are you able to do full 4-year batchelors at those schools?

Frankly, in my opinion, any company that ditches CVs/resumes based on what school you attended and not the skills you offer arn't worth working for.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
ndimucci

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrir View Post
Are you able to do full 4-year batchelors at those schools?

Frankly, in my opinion, any company that ditches CVs/resumes based on what school you attended and not the skills you offer arn't worth working for.
When you have hundreds of resumes to review, and if past experiences with candidates from those schools have proven to be sour, then it's not completely unjustified to immediately discard them.

That's not to say it's totally unfair for those students who are actually talented.

Last edited by ndimucci : 10-25-2008 at 03:12 AM.
ndimucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
shane.hendrickson

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

Quote:

Sorry if I insult any students of the latter. Anyways, if I HAD to choose between those schools, it'd probably be Full Sails due to being somewhat of a better choice.

And if you are worried about the hours of Full Sails, well all I can say is, no glory without sacrifice. Cliche, I know.
I'm the one who posted that. I'm a student with UAT-Online, but when I was attending on campus, a very prominent game developer (who shall remain nameless) said that to a small group of students he was talking to.
I think his point was that with ITT (and similar companies) you are getting a very quick and general degree. That is, you might not be getting the precise skills or experience that a more focused degree will get you. Also keep in mind that this is only one person's opinion.
All I can suggest before you make any decision is to do a LOT of research. And don't just talk to the people at the school. They WANT you to go there so that you will be giving them money. Talk to students and former students if you can find any.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
shane.hendrickson

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

Quote:
When you have hundreds of resumes to review, and if past experiences with candidates from those schools have proven to be sour, then it's not completely unjustified to immediately discard them.
Given the context of the conversation, I think this is exactly the reasoning for what the developer said about those schools.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #9
mbruno

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Touring IADT

I'm an admissions representative at IADT and would like to help you with deciding which school would be best for you. I understand how hard it can be to find the right college. That's why I want to invite you to come in to our campus for a tour and take look at what we have to offer. If you're interested my direct line where you can reach me is 813-889-3493 or you can e-mail me @ mbruno@academy.edu.

Regards,

Marcus
mbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
jkakashi12

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

is itt that bad i live in alabama and i dont know where to go in albama we have itt herzing and Virginia college so i dont know what i want to do
jkakashi12 is offline   Reply With Quote