Old 01-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
shishio

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default How to become a 3D Game Artist/Modeler

Hi everyone,

im 22 from Israel (after high school and army) and i want to be a 3D Game Artist that deals mainly with 3D character/ object/ environment modeling with emphasis on character modeling and i have no idea where to start...
i have no idea if i realy need a degree for that position and if i do which degree?
and what is/are the courses i need to take for it?
another concern of mine is that here in israel there are no schools that deal with Game Development and Design seriously and the closest thing i found relating to Games is Computer Science in which you can learn general programming (not even related to games or game art at all) and i was wondering if in this situation i should study computer science in order to get a degree in it that will grant me access to the gaming industry while studying 3d modeling by myself so once i get there (gaming industry) with my degree i could make my way to the position i realy want? (instead of programming - modeling?)

please stir me in the right direction
any help would be greatly appreciated!
shishio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Hey, welcome to the forums

First of all - If you don't want to be a programmer, don't go for a computer science degree, concentrate on the art.
From what I understand you should take a classic arts degree or take a course in graphical design and animation.
I do know that the Open University offers some of these courses (They are not part of any degree, but you can get credits for them).
If you want to go for a degree and not just take courses (for a diploma for example) you should check the degrees offered by the arts and humanities departments.
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
shishio

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

thank you for replying!

i dont know how to explain it but i realy love 3d art but i dont realy like traditional art and everything surrounding it (histroy of art, photography, theater etc.), the only exception is concept art. i know that if i start studying regular art in a college or university i would probably be bored to death. on the other hand, i realy like mathematics and physics, im a realistic person rather than a humanistic and thats why i think anything realistic that has something to do with the game industry is a better choice for me (e.g. computer science). maybe there is something else other than computer science that i can do to get into the industry (other than traditional art)? or maybe i should go study abroad in a normal Game Art school? and what i wanted to ask in the previous post is if i do go for a CS degree can i get to the art aspect of the industry easily?
sorry for all the mess, im realy confused
Old 01-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2244

In my experience, it is rather odd to have someone wanting to become a 3D artist without liking traditional arts (in some form). If you want to become an artist then a Computer Science degree is not the degree to do as said previously.

Why do you want to be a 3D Game Artist?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
shishio

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Why do you want to be a 3D Game Artist?
well, i realy like 3d modeling (in which i have some informal experiece) and concept art but i dont like all the other stuff i mentioned before because i dont see how they are related except that they are all art. i just want to draw a character or object (concept art) and then make a 3d model of it. i dont care about all the other BS that are incorporated into art programs. i also think that 3d modeling is just as technical as it is art, its just like Architecture, Interior Design and Industrial Design and it has nothing to do with analysing pictures and photographs, theater plays and conveying messages through art. its just a way of simulating reality or bringing form to fantasy withought much meaning behind it.

i want a program that would focus mainly on utilizing the 3d modeling packages and how to make 3d content and also incorporate drawing or concept art for games or production, but without all the other unnecessary art stuff.

Last edited by shishio : 01-06-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss684

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishio View Post
I also think that 3d modeling is just as technical as it is art, its just like Architecture, Interior Design and Industrial Design and it has nothing to do with analysing pictures and photographs, theater plays and conveying messages through art. its just a way of simulating reality or bringing form to fantasy withought much meaning behind it.
I think many (if not most) game developers will disagree with you on that, at least partially. Games are rarely simulating reality (even when they intend to), and have almost always some meaning behind them. Although it is debatable how much of that meaning is conveyed through the 3D models, to say the 3D modeling is strictly technical is taking it too far.
I think having experience with classical art forms would be much more desirable in a 3D modeler than a lot of experience doing, say, industrial designs in 3D.
I'm interested in seeing how many people here will disagree with me.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Quote:
I think having experience with classical art forms would be much more desirable in a 3D modeler than a lot of experience doing, say, industrial designs in 3D.
I'm interested in seeing how many people here will disagree with me.
I think it depends on what you're trying to model.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
shishio

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

i mainly want to do character and organic modeling, how do classical or traditional art are going to help me with that???
Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1459

I'm not really an artist, however I have dabbled in art in the past. Mostly to get over my abysmal programming art and help out with mods. None the less, I feel that you have a lot to gain from practicing traditional art forms. Even while studying on a vocational or practical degree on 3D art. These are just a few examples I thought of off the top of my head:

Life Drawing and Figure Drawing immediately jump to mind. Developing the ability to sketch a figure accurately would help you to understand and appreciate anatonmy. This is critical to creating effective and believeable characters.

Sometimes realism isn't the right direction for the game. This is where elements of Cartooning and Satire can help. You could learn how to take a character and gradually exagerate their features into something that looks similar but in a completely different style. You could learn how to convey emotion through non-realistic expressions.

Studying the history of art, or any form of history or cultural study for that matter, will expand your awareness. You may discover interesting styles or art forms that you might not of otherwise concieved. You may find interesting ideas that tackle. Consequently, you will have a great range of stuff you can draw insiration from.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
shishio

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

i thought maybe i should do a degree in computer science since its more practical and there are some aspects of it that i think i like (i never programmed before so i dont know how it is) such as: 3D engine, graphics, physics and AI though i still prefer the modeling aspect of 3d games so for that i would take some non-degree courses to improve specifically on the skills i desire which are concept art and 3d modeling, what do you think?

and if i do eventually decide to go for an art degree, what program fits most for an aspiring 3D Modeler and Concept Artist? there are many that sound the same to me such as: Graphic Design, Visual Communication, Fine Arts, Animation and Multimedia just to name a few.