Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Flash

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Game Writer Question

Hey, I was wondering if anyone in the game industry could give me some advice. I'm a college student with an associate's degree, and my goal is to become a game writer (cut scenes, characters, story, game manuals, etc.). I have to decide on a major as soon as possible, but I'm not sure which major will give me the best shot at writing for games.

I hesitate to get an English degree, because I can still work on my writing skills, and get my writing published without an ENGL major. I'm also not interested in many of the normal jobs associated with English (English professor, etc.), and I don't want a masters in English which is usually necessary to get a good job when majoring in ENGL.

I've heard about writers in the game industry who need to multitask, such as write and work on game design, etc. So perhaps a major in Computer Science? If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2244

There are very few permanent writers in the industry. They are generally contracted on a per needed basis. Essentially you should be aiming to be a good writer in general.

Personally, I have never heard of a writer needing to get involved into the actual development of the game, maybe a bit on the design side but that's about it.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote