Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
NovaSyx

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default Fascinated and Confused.

For a long time I've wanted to be in the games industry.

Thankfully I kept myself grounded, and when I first wanted to achieve this I had to make the appropriate research and at the time Game Development courses were few and far between and most people involved in the industry had kind of been bedroom coding homebrew from Day 1.

I figured that I should wait until I'm closer to finishing Secondary School and am truly on my own to start looking at what I really want to do. Fast forward to now, I'm 15 and have few months left before Year 11 is over. I'm going to be leaving with 6 GCSE's, (Science, Additional Science, Maths, English, English Language and Media.)

Recently (past 3-4 months) I've been looking at the Game Industry as a viable option again. I was shocked to notice that there are courses all over the shop and my options are wide and plentiful.

Immediately I realised this IS what I want to do with my life. And soon after I made the decision to become a programmer, because code has always fascinated me and I felt that even though I had alot of experience with 3D art programs like Maya, Photoshop etc, I didn't feel I wanted to learn to do that. If I really wanted to make the shift over to a more design-centric side of game development, I would do that later. Programming is a transferable skill and a somewhat more valuable skill. I can keep learning Maya/PS/Zbrush etc in my own time.

Now here is my issue, Where do I go from here?

All I can really find are universities and the closest to my current age I found was Qantm, which I attended an Open Day for and was impressed with the facilities but not the overall size. I wanted the university experience.

So do I attend College or is that not necessary (I.E can I take an extra year at some universities where they will teach me what is necessary? I noticed Hull do a foundation year in their Computer Science in Games Development optionally)

Suggestions, suggestions?

Also, I want to hit the ground running so I've found a few on my own but can anyone recommend some sites for a beginner to learn C++?

Thanks alot.

-Edit. This should probably be in the Getting Started section shouldn't it... Whoops, sorry.

Last edited by NovaSyx : 02-08-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Amendments.
NovaSyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Yes you'd need to go to college if you want to take that route. Mainly because universities usually ask for a certain number of A-levels for entry to a course. Therefore I'd suggest you go to college for a computing / software engineering course and on to university from there. Alternatively you could try entering the industry straight from school via a testing role, then once you've made contacts, getting a programming job is easier, though it may be tough to get to an interview without anything other than GCSE's.
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

You need to get enough credits somehow to get into University. Be it via A-levels or other qualifications. Do a Computer Science degree or equivalent and apply for a job.

In the meantime, start learning now. If you find out you don't like it, then it isn't too late to change.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
NovaSyx

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Thanks for the advice.

In my A Levels for programming I'd be looking at Maths and Science ones right? One of those silly career advisers in my school suggested I do IT but the more I look at it the less his advice makes sense.

And just so I know incase I do change my mind- should I still be looking at Maths and Science A levels for a career as a Game Artist?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Yes Maths & science are good for going into programming (although the main thing to get is a computing / programming subject). IT is ok too depending on what it covers, I personally did an Adv GNVQ in IT, and ended up using the programming lessons to make games.

To be an artist... er... I wouldn't think so you don't really need math's & science for that.
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

Programmers - Math is needed, anything else is pretty much optional. I took Physics, Maths and Art.

Artist - Anything Art related really.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
NovaSyx

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Sweet. Well I've got a long road ahead of me considering I won't even be starting university for at least 3 years.

So now I'm looking at learning programming in my own time and I've narrowed it down to Python VS Java. Note I've never ever programmed before really. (I don't think sodding around with mIRC scripts counts for much haha.)
Old 02-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

Either. Flip a coin. At this stage, it doesn't really matter. Although, I do have a personal preference for Python.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #9
NovaSyx

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Yeah, I decided to go with Python soon after I made that post when found out it doesn't need to be compiled and I saw a website about a guy who managed to make a game in 40 hours with it.

Made my first Hello World and I'm overjoyed haha, I'm going to go hunting for some more resources to learn it further.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:01 AM   #10
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSyx View Post
Made my first Hello World and I'm overjoyed haha, I'm going to go hunting for some more resources to learn it further.
Congrats. Welcome to the wonderful world of code
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote