Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
elitewolf6

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Game design course, getting started.

Hi guys, first time posting so hello to you all.

I have been wanting to get into the gaming industry all my life and have been planning on doing a game design course at Uclan in the UK. I have read all the information about that course. I am to take an informal interview for the course and we have to take along a portfolio of any work we have been doing. As soon as i read this I started work on it straight away by learning Maya 2010 and writting down any ideas I had about games and characters etc.

I emailed the course manager for some information on my portfolio, and she said i can include any work I do in maya through tutorials and my own work, also she said diagramatical level designs, can someone tell me what these are, and how to make them?

she also said do some photoshop work, i have used this before but can any give me any examples for a game design point on what to do for this?

Thank you for any information.
elitewolf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Monkeh

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss58

Hi Wolf. She means a diagram-based outline for a level - I assume it would be for any game. She wants you to get your ideas across for how you would make a level, but lay all of the information out in diagrams and words instead of actually making a level.

If you're familiar with PS, it might be good to make some level diagrams in PS to show your abilities while also getting work done.

Good luck!
Monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
elitewolf6

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

cool thanks for the information and fast reply, can you give me any links that will give me a visual representation of what these would look like?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

I would be guessing it be a like an annotated floor diagram.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

As well as drawing level plans, you could go one better and actually create them using a level editor if you can get your hands on one. Unreal tournament 3 comes with the latest unreal editor for free and Game Career Guide recently published a beginners tutorial for it here. As well as there being plenty of online tutorials such as here and here.

If your computer can't handle the Unreal Engine 3 (Which mine can't). Then there is Unreal Engine 2, which you can download the demo here for free and it also comes with the editor, which also has plenty of tutorials for. I think that if you show up with ANY experience with Maya, 3DSMax, A Game Engine or Photoshop you'd be a shoe in for the place at whichever Uni you've applied to. I just finished my first year at University studying Computer Games Design and when applying I had no experience with any of the things previously mentioned and just had artwork to the interviews, I managed to get into 4 out of the 5 Universities that I applied to.

Good Luck for wherever you end up though!
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
BorisK

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss38

Left 4 Dead, Half Life 2 and Counter Strike Source also come with reputable editors, so pick your poison(they all share the same editor, Hammer Editor)

oh and photoshop is used for textures on stuff like walls and for something called UV template. its used to apply textures to everything with a texture in a game
BorisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
elitewolf6

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

wow thanks for all the information, and the links i will defo look into these. This is hard for me as im not fantastic at drawing but i am able to get ideas down. I have been doing tutorials for drawing and iv improved a smig.

All my exp is in programming but i feel i will enjoy design better.

Iv found learning maya has been great but hard as there arent as many beginner tutorials as say 3ds max. But I am enjoying it. Can you create anything you want in unreal 3 editors?

Photoshop: I did use the gimp to create a bump map image for a wooden floor image i found on google. I used a tutorial to create this.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
BorisK

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss38

Youtube and 3dbuzz.com have awesome video tutorials. when i did my games degree i missed lectures and used those sites instead lol

well what do you mean by can you mean by can you create anything in Unreal editors?? if you mean genres then yes.

PS: you dont reeeeeally have to be able to draw like Leonardo DaVinci lol. though it may be a good skill to have. its mostly about level/game design, some 3D modeling etc etc
BorisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

Quote:
Can you create anything you want in unreal 3 editors?
From what I've used of Unreal so far, the actual editor itself is used to create the basic shape of the level you wish to create- rooms or skyboxes, and to add finer detail, you can use 3D modeling programs (like Max) to create stuff like trees or tables and chairs (props) and then import them into Unreal to use in your levels. However seen as you are only getting started with Unreal, I would suggest just using the Editors basic tools, just to create rooms that connect to each other and use the textures that come with it, as importing and using stuff from 3D modelers can get tricky.

In my first year at University, we used the Unreal Editor, but we just created basic rooms connecting and added simple water surfaces and basic movers, but I'm sure if you show them even basic unreal stuff, they will be impressed.
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:09 AM   #10
JohnsonM

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss53

So basically you can create anything, even weapons and characters, from another 3D modeling program and plug it into UnrealEd? At that point is your level only playable through Unreal Tournament, or is there another way you can interact with it?
JohnsonM is offline   Reply With Quote