Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156
Default Programming Compilers Information

Heya guy, what I'm about to ask is kinda newbish, but I'm here to learn and willing.

Alrighty, well basically first, I want to say I have good news! My good friend Andy is going into the field of programming. What does this mean? This means that once he's learned well, he and I can work on a game to make a project. At first I felt like I would kinda be useless since I hardly know how to do much (I only know some of the very basics of python) and I'm no artist. However, he said I would be very useful if I was going to be going through the game documents and such, PLUS, I'm very talented when it comes to music, so I could also be the composer for the game. I know someone that knows about 3D modeling (mostly the lighting process, but it's a start)

Now then, moving on...

I was curious, what are the differences between compilers? I don't want to become a programmer myself, however, I want to learn more about programming. I'm gonna try learning a bit about C++ since I have the basics of Python down and can comprehend some of the more general stuff of what programming is.

What is the difference between something like Dev-C++ and Microsoft C++? What's the general differences?
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
kenshee

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss37

Most compilers today compile within ANSI standard, that is an agreed upon standard similar to ISO.

On the face of it there is no difference in the compilers themselves, they do the same things and come with a standard set of features ie. they compile and link your code. The major difference and this is semantics only is that the Microsoft compiler is proprietary and the Dev-C++ is opensource.

My recommendation is staying away from Dev-C++ as the IDE is old and hasn't been updated in a few years where as the Microsoft Visual Studio/C++ compiler is integrated with the .NET framework and much easier to use with DirectX and other technologies.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshee View Post
Most compilers today compile within ANSI standard, that is an agreed upon standard similar to ISO.

On the face of it there is no difference in the compilers themselves, they do the same things and come with a standard set of features ie. they compile and link your code. The major difference and this is semantics only is that the Microsoft compiler is proprietary and the Dev-C++ is opensource.

My recommendation is staying away from Dev-C++ as the IDLE is old and hasn't been updated in a few years where as the Microsoft Visual Studio/C++ compiler is integrated with the .NET framework and much easier to use with DirectX and other technologies.

I see... The only problem I have with that is that there's this one tutorial online on youtube that's very clear and efficient, however, the guy doing the tutorial wants us to download Dev-C++. I've come up with a game concept that's... Very innovative, however, I'm concerned with many issues of the game, plus, I'm not a programmer. The main issue being that it's kind of complex, another being an issue of balance (It's a fighting game), and the third being "Is it accessible to all people and will it be fun?"
Old 11-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
kenshee

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss37

There are countless sources for learning programming just check any of the link below yaustars replies, unless your actually doing any programming it really doesn't make any difference about how complex it is.

As far as I can gather your designing the game and your buddy is the programmer, let him program your game in OpenGL if you want cross platform portability. Creating game balance is tweaking the game once you actually have something to work with I wouldn't worry about that until you have a solid platform to work on.

PS. Try python instead of C++ easier and faster.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Yeah, I know a bit about python, but I hear it's probably not as efficient, it's just faster to work with. By the way, I didn't want to post another topic so maybe you guys can help me, I'm trying to add a module to Python right now, however, it's not working, this is for class and I don't want to fail. Help please? "^^
Old 11-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2272

You are trying to add a module? Define 'not working'.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
You are trying to add a module? Define 'not working'.
Basically, it won't recognize something from the module... I'm pretty sure it probably doesn't know the module exists, I was fairly sure that I put the Livewires module in the right place, however, now I'm not so sure...
Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2272

If the module doesn't exist, it should give an error where you tried to 'include' it. What is the exact error message you get and post the source code.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Astrocrash\astrocra sh02.py", line 7, in ?
games.init(screen_width = 640, screen_height = 480, fps = 50)
Attribute Error: Module object has no attribute 'init'

The thing is though, I ran the program at my College and it worked 100% fine. Suggestions?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2272

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
If the module doesn't exist, it should give an error where you tried to 'include' it. What is the exact error message you get and post the source code.
I need to see ALL of the file.