Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
dreamshade

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss87
Default How Not To Pitch a Game

http://www.unlockxbox.com/gameideas/...spx?gameId=287

This little video was pointed out to me by a bunch of Touhou Project fans who were having a laugh at how much the guy's idea sounded like it had already been done. But still, there's some merit to watching this, if only to tell yourself that you don't sell a game by just saying, "Do what's already been done - but add a versus mode!"
Old 12-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Ezion

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss38

The pitch does sound very similar to Touhou, but we're since focusing on the pitching technique..

Well, it could've been a more exciting pitch. Even if the speaker had just varied his voice a little and looked enthusiastic it would've helped.

Also, I laughed at the "big mess of crap" comment. Not the way I would've addressed the judge's concern, but it was at least one notable moment in both of the videos...

Last edited by Ezion : 12-14-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Ezion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Wow, most of those games were terrible, and the ones that had potential weren't thought out enough for the most part. Those NOOBS are being given such an amazing opportunity... Jeez. Did anyone else get frustrated after watching a few of those?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Pirates0nFire

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

I submitted an idea for a comical four player hack and slash. I guess my idea wasn't as good as those that were chosen...
The guy pitching Get Thrown probably presents himself the best. The girl has a good chance since she is an attractive female gamer. She has potential for getting votes. I thought both game ideas were pretty terrible.
Anyone played Doritos Dash of Destruction? It's free on live and gets you 200 easy gamerpoints... but it's not fun.
Pirates0nFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

I know that the ideas were used before in the pitch, but it wasn't like it was a bad idea.

It was like a mix between Giga-Wing, Twinkle Star Sprites, Dodon Pachi, and many other shmups, but who said something has to be unique to be good? I don't know, maybe it's just me but I've been playing Shmups with my friend and see alot of similar things within each different shmup that's been used, but that didn't make them bad. My friend is a huge fan of shmups and he'd think it was a good idea as a game, even if not unique. It's more the passion put into the game.

There was actually one game I know of, though these judges were a bit mean with asking these questions as if they didn't know what the Hell a shmup is. Shmups have always been about dodging bullets, getting through, and improving your battle ship. But why the heck are they harrassing the shmup genre so much? Anyhow, they were just so picky choosy, it was kind of annoying hearing from the judges.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
celenco

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I truly enjoyed the idea of the game. I wouldn't mind playing something like that
celenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Celenco,

Yeah, the game could have been fun. But he was given the opportunity to come up with ANY arcade-sized game he could think of! And he came up with a TOTALLY run-of-the-mill shmup! It's such a waste of an opportunity. I wish I'd known about the contest. Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I'm pretty sure I could have come up with a better game.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Celenco,

Yeah, the game could have been fun. But he was given the opportunity to come up with ANY arcade-sized game he could think of! And he came up with a TOTALLY run-of-the-mill shmup! It's such a waste of an opportunity. I wish I'd known about the contest. Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I'm pretty sure I could have come up with a better game.
I don't know, I like shmups alot and it's not as easy to make one as a person might think. But arcade games are harder to make cause you're kind of limited on what to make in a way, something that's kind of short but at the same time, something kind of hard. The most popular genres on arcade carts nowadays are fighters (Thanks to Trash Fighter 4) and people want 3D graphics and not 2D graphics cause "2D graphics are shit and undetailed" even though they take more effort, time, and money to make. It's hard to make a crowd pleaser though on arcades. The best way to make one though, and something I would have made is a fighting game. I already have a design for one that has what people call "Lots of innovation" though, I have many concerns about it even though it's caught many people's attention.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

It seems strange to me you'd be advocating for a mundane Shmup that I could play on my MAME emulator if you're fighting game has "lots of innovation." Obviously you recognize that every genre has tons of room for improvement - so why keep them the same? Even if it IS fun, I can get the same experience somewhere else. This guy wasted the opportunity by not really doing anything new.

For example, there is another shmup on that same exact website that actually takes steps at innovation by giving you player-guided weapons and bosses that complement them. Bam. That wasn't hard. And I bet that game would be much more compelling to play.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

For example. This would make a SICK XBLA game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTOFd...eature=related