Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Huogo Furi

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss27
Default What language to choose?

I've got a (as much as I don't want to admit) mediocre background in several languages, but I'm not sure what to specifically work on. I suppose eventually all of it... does anyone have any advice on what to start with and where to go?

I've got C++ partially down, I'm going back through to refresh my memory. Other than that I've been looking into Python, Lua, Ruby, PHP, and Java. I also wanted to ask if I should learn any Direct 3D or anything in that category.

Last edited by Huogo Furi : 01-12-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Huogo Furi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Languages that are commonly used in the industry now: C++, C#, Lua, Python. In terms of libraries, whatever you want really.

Don't try to learn too much at once and excel in them. Bear in mind that in 6 years time, things may have moved on from now.

Working on a small 2D game would be a good start, something like a Space Invaders clone using C++ and SDL or SFML.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Huogo Furi

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss27

Yeah, I read that somewhere for ideas. I was thinking of trying to mimic Minesweeper or something, but how to create something original .

I also know that in 6 years time everything will be different. Provided technology advances as it should every 18 months or so, that would be 4 cycles lol something's bound to change. Thanks for the response though, I had a general direction but wasn't too sure exactly where to go.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/Picking_a_Language

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Huogo Furi

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss27

Thank you for that link tsloper. That actually helps a lot as well. Another question I wanted to ask is if there's any universal compiler? or if, as long as you have DLL's you can compile them in some compiler? This is something that's kinda stumped me recently cause I've got all kinds of compilers that came with books and wondered if I could cross compile.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Universal compiler?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
Huogo Furi

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss27

like... a compiler that can compile any language as long as you have the DLL's for that language somewhere in your hard-drive (tied to the compiler). When you buy a book on a specific language it usually comes with a compiler for that language (or maybe it can be used with any language and I just never realized that)
Old 01-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

No, there is no such thing as a universal compiler. Each compiler will generally target one language for one platform/hardware (eg X86, PowerPC, ARM).
Old 01-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Huogo Furi

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss27

Ok, I always wondered that because it seems like it would be immensely convenient to have something like that. I suppose in the long run it would take roughly the same amount of space on a hard-drive though...

Thank you for clearing that up for me though, something Ive wondered for a while.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

I'm very surprised Java hasn't been stressed in this conversation. Java's language was built from C++ in an effort to solve major compatibility issues (like different operating systems). C++ is a procedural code that allows you to design in an object-oriented fashion if you choose. Java forces you to learn object-oriented programming, as well as learning how to make more robust code.

Most people eventually settle into C++ (or similar) for games programming, but I'm betting a majority of the good C++ programmers know Java as well.

If C++ is the sportscar of programming, then Java is the 4-wheel, all-terrain vehicle. She might not be as fast but you don't need to worry about staying in your lane.

Edit: Unity now supports full integration with JavaScript.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote